Daisy, Boss Cat

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by Xena Dog Princess, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

On Monday morning we had to put Daisy to sleep. Although she was 18.5 years old, it was very sudden. On Sunday evening her back legs suddenly stopped moving. It was just a case of "she was totally fine, until she wasn't". We had a lovely last night together on our bed, keeping her as calm as possible (she never sleeps with us, her choice, not ours!). She even slept on OH, which was very special. In the morning Dawn gave her a big brush (she loved being brushed) and she even purred.

Daisy was an extra special cat. She had more personality than most dogs and humans. A few examples

• She refused to wear a collar with the accompanying cat-door magnet, but that didn't matter because madam figured out how to unlock the cat-door.
    • She also realised that doors often didn't latch properly when you closed them, so if she pawed at it enough it would simply unlock and then she'd stroll in. Doors that were left ajar were no barrier, she'd just slip her paw around and open it - even Xena hasn't figured that one out, she just sticks her snoot in the gap and whimpers pathetically.
    • When she wanted attention she'd gently paw at you.
    • When "the beast" (our pet name for her) wanted to be fed she'd miaow...LOUDLY. She'd become profoundly deaf in the past couple of years and her miaow sounded like a foghorn, ouf, it was not pretty.
    • She was also a puker, and we only recently figured out that lots of small meals helped mitigate the pukes. We joked that she was our hobbit - first breakfast, second breakfast, morning tea, elevensies etc. No joke, she ate about 8 small meals per day. Her appetite was strong until the very end.
    • She loved to sleep in the most uncomfortable places. Her favourites were on computer and laptop keyboards, Dawn's ukelele box, the kitchen bench, and, well, you'll see in the photos.
    As you can tell, she was a very mighty presence in our home, and her absence is so notable - no obnoxious "feed me now, woman" when I come home from walking Xena; no cat fur on the kitchen bench and tables. The house is just so quiet without her. I'm very grateful that she didn't suffer for long, but it was just so fast. It felt like she was going to outlive us all for a while there.

Anyway, here are some of my favourite photos of The Beast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

charlie, Granca, Karen and 5 others like this.
  2. HanksMama

HanksMama Registered Users

These pics are so beautiful and I am so sorry for your loss. It's a heartbreaking thing....these animals bring you so much love and joy, we can only hope we did the best we could as their gaurdians.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Beautiful cat wonderful life.so sorry.

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

Daisy clearly had a bigger-than-life personality and will always be with you. The photos are wonderful and show what a character she was...what a great expressive face! My personal feeling is that our animals stick around after their passing until they know we are well enough for them to move on and even then they can come back for a visit when needed. So Daisy may not be there with you in body, but she sure is there with you in spirit.

5. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

What a beautiful cat and what a wonderful age to get to, so sorry for your loss.

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

What a character, boy I just love awkward cats! I am so terribly sorry for your loss...cats just seem there all the time...and leaves such a sad void when they are gone. :hug::hug:

7. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Sorry for your loss. Beatiful pictures, but specially like second and third

8. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

So sorry Sophie!

Daisy was absolutely beautiful! What an age x

9. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

I'm so sorry. The photos are wonderful, so much character and they made me smile. She obviously had a good life, well-loved and happy. I'm sure she will leave a big gap. :hug:

10. AngelConradie

AngelConradie Registered Users

My deepest condolences on your loss. :heart:

11. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

So sorry about Daisy. She looks like she had an amazing life with you :heart:.

12. 20180815

20180815 Guest

My thoughts go out to you, Daisy looked like she was quite the character!! :heart:

13. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

So sorry for your loss. So hard for you, but what a nice way for her to go. She's obviously going to leave a huge hole.
    Run free Daisy. xxx

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm so very sorry for your loss :hug:

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a lovely cat!! I'm sure you are going to miss her terribly :(

16. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I loved reading about Daisy, and seeing the photos. She sounds like quite the character and has given you many sweet memories. So sorry for your loss :heart:

17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So sorry about Daisy, you have some wonderful memories about her. It never gets easier, it doesn't matter how old they are. :hug:

18. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

I'm so sorry for you, she looks like she was a gorgeous loving cat with a zest for life.

I was knocked sideways last year when we had to say goodbye to our lovely Oscar who was a true character too, so I can completely empathise with how you must be feeling. It sounds like you did the very best thing for her right up to the end, it must have been so hard to make that decision when she was so well before. Sending hugs xx

19. Granca

Granca Registered Users

So sorry to hear about Daisy. What a wonderful character and lovely photos too.

20. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I"m so sorry, what a shock for you. How we all would want to end out lives though, I think. Just a brief bit of discomfort (or none) and then gone, living full till it's over. God speed Daisy.