Dangerous Collars

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by BevE, Mar 13, 2018.

1. BevE

BevE Registered Users

We nearly lost Bailey today. He doesn’t wear a collar at home, but he is staying with our daughter and her Lab, Hugo. They are best friends and play “bitey-face” all the time, but today their collars became stuck and Hugo’s teeth were embedded into Baileys collar. Our daughter tried to separate them but couldn’t. By this time both dogs were screaming and frothing from the mouth. Claire ran next door to ask for help and thankfully, and with a great degree of difficulty, they were able to undo Bailey’s collar. Bailey has some fur missing around his neck and is now collarless-as is Hugo-because they needed to cut his collar too. Our daughter was very upset and shaky but seems ok now. Both dogs recovered well and seem to have no problems. Our daughter Claire and I may take longer to recover!
    We came so very close to losing him. Please don’t leave collars on while dogs are playing. We’re so thankful that Claire was at home, if she hadn’t been, this story would have had a much worse outcome!

CMartin and Stacia like this.
  2. MF

MF Registered Users

Advice is to have a sharp pair of scissors always available for these kinds of incidents.

Similar happened with Snowie (as a puppy) and a pug. Pug’s nose was cut from the collar, lots of blood, pug collapsed from shock but recovered quickly. Very, very scary for me because at first I thought my friendly puppy was attacking the pug, meanwhile his jaw was stuck in the collar.

So pleased your story has a happy ending.

Snowie never wears a collar at home. Although it has a quick release buckle so can be taken off very easily.

3. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Oh collar accidents are so scary, im glad everyone ended up ok! We use easy release collars (no buckles) but Penny never wears a collar in the house because we used to crate her as a pup/young dog and ive heard too many stories of dogs hanging themselves.

4. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn never wears a collar because of what might happen. What terrifies me also are the extendable leads with a cord. Paws can easily be amputated by these when playing. Always leave collars and leashes of when they are allowed to play otherwise no playing!

I am glad that no one got hurt!

5. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

This is terrifying. I always take collars off Quinn and any dog visitors at our house, but I find not many friends/family take off their dog's collars at home. I have sent this story to OH, as he never takes off Quinn's collar. Glad everyone is ok!

6. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Same! Ive had a really nasty burn across my hand from stupidly grabbing an extendable lead of a dog that was going after mine. I was in agony for days!

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I am so glad all these pups lost was some fur.

I know this is a risk and I've heard of worse outcomes but we walk off leash and Oban is not going off leash without his collar on. If he meets a dog to play with I am always right there watching. The other dog will have it's collar on too. Playing when the other dog is dragging a leash I do not allow.

8. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

How scary! I’m so glad both were ok, but you’re right, us humans take more time to recover than our lovely dogs.

9. BevE

BevE Registered Users

Thanks everyone! Both dogs are fine this morning. I was worried about the impact on Baileys throat but my daughter tells me that he is eating and drinking okay. They have also been playing together with no visible differences apart from the fact that neither dog is wearing a collar!

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I’m glad you had a good outcome. I take Harley’s collar off the minute we walk through the door at home as I’m always worried she will get caught up somehow.

BevE likes this.
  11. BevE

BevE Registered Users

Well we spoke too soon. Bailey has deteriorated over the afternoon and our daughter was worried enough that her husband took Bailey to the vet. He became obviously uncomfortable and wouldn’t let anyone near his ear or neck. He was given painkillers and anti- inflammatorys, but he would still not let the vet anywhere near to examine him. This is the exact opposite of Baileys usual behaviour, so now I’m really concerned. He needs to be sedated as the worst scenario is that he has a fracture. And of course, I’m not even in the state! I’ve changed my flight from Saturday to tomorrow and am worried sick about him.

12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Oh crikey, you mus be worried sick now. I hope it's something as simple as bruising that's becoming uncomfortable. Thinking of you.

13. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Oops, what a worry now! And I understand you are away from home!!

When we were on a holiday in the USA almost 3years ago, we got a message from the kennel where Euan and Finn were staying. Euan was very painful again. He was operated on a herniated disk in his back almost a year before this. We were lucky that the dog walker heard about this and they took him in their house, leaving Finn at the kennel. It was in the best interest of Euan that he was in a quiet area. But I understand your worries!

14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hope everything is ok.

BevE likes this.
  15. BevE

BevE Registered Users

Well, Bailey has seen our vet and he’s booked in tomorrow to be sedated/anaesthetised so they can shave all around his neck and get a good look at the injury and X-ray his neck/spine. The injury appears to encircle his neck and all the way around is oozing pus. Both of his eyes are deep red from capillaries bursting. He really did come close to losing his life. He has been given an injection of antibiotics and a strong painkiller so at the moment he is asleep. It’s so hard to see him like this. Bailey is a fun loving boisterous dog and he is oh-so quiet at the moment. It may be a long night.

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh my word I have just read this. I do so hope Bailey will be ok. Thank you for the reminder about not wearing collars while playing or when alone - and the same goes for when dogs are working or swimming. That's why gundogs never wear collars in the UK when working. In Germany they do wear collars, but they are velcro-fastening and bright orange, both for visibility and so that they easily come undone if the dogs get stuck.

Sending healing vibrations to Bailey, and I am really keeping my fingers crossed for him.

BevE likes this.
  17. BevE

BevE Registered Users

Poor Bailey was sedated yesterday so the vet could see and treat his neck and ear. The good thing is the X-ray appears clear, this is the only good news. Below is the horrific and nearly fatal damage to his neck. The wound goes nearly the whole way round and the bruising is just awful. He is on antibiotics for the infection that developed within 18 hours, painkillers, anti-inflammatory meds and sedatives. We have a topical ointment, but he hates his neck being touched. He is crying in pain and frustration caused by the itching. He’s desperate to rub and scrape on any surface in an effort to relieve the itch and the only way to treat this is to keep him mildly sedated, which makes him confused. He is eating and drinking. I’m hopeful he is over the worst of it but I’ll do anything I can to make the next few days more comfy for him. He will certainly not be wearing a collar when he is playing ever again. 3F2DF370-218C-4900-BB15-87E2CC86E792.jpeg

18. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Oh my gosh, poor Bailey, and you as well. That’s so heart breaking to see but thankfully he’s ok. Speedy recovery, Bailey:hug:

BevE likes this.
  19. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh goodness, that's awful! Poor baby :(

I hope he makes a quick recovery x

BevE likes this.
  20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Poor little man. So sorry he's been hurt so badly,hope he's feeling better soon. Xxxx

BevE likes this.