Dangerous Collars

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by BevE, Mar 13, 2018.

1. BevE

BevE Registered Users

He’s not too bad. He’s still on antibiotics and pain meds but I’ve reduced the sedation and he appears more settled. He has 5 minute periods of “bounciness” which exhaust him but our Bailey is still there underneath all the pain and confusion. He still won’t let us apply the cream to his neck but luckily the wounds appear to be slowly healing. Luckily he can’t reach his neck with his paws so can’t scratch himself. It seems the only piece of luck he’s had.

Granca, Karen and Emily like this.
  2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

It sounds so awful. Hopefully he settles soon and feels more comfortable letting you get close to his neck. Is he happy to wear a harness? I'm assuming it will be some time before collar-wearing will become comfortable again.

3. BevE

BevE Registered Users

The sad thing is he never wears a collar at home. I had put his collar on as my daughter was looking after him and she had asked for his collar to be on and I was quite happy to do so. It was a freak incident but I will buy a quick release collar so it can’t happen again. He has not let me put his harness on since the accident. He doesn’t tolerate it going over his head. I’ll leave it for now. Thanks for all your support.

SwampDonkey, Cath and Karen like this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you Karen :) x

BevE and Karen like this.
  5. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hope Bailey is felling better today. Never nice when something goes wrong especially this wrong.
    Sure he will be back to normal in no time

BevE likes this.
  6. BevE

BevE Registered Users

He’s a lot perkier this morning. It never ceases to amaze me how fast our dogs appear to recover, though he must still be in a lot of pain. He is sleeping more than usual which is a good thing as when he wakes it’s obvious that his neck is very itchy.

Kelsey&Axel, Granca, Beanwood and 3 others like this.
  7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Glad Bailey is a bit perkier this morning :inlove:

BevE likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's so good to hear. :hug: xx

BevE likes this.
  9. Cath

Cath Registered Users

How is Bailey today?

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  10. BevE

BevE Registered Users

Hi Cath,
    Bailey is a hundred percent better thankyou. The bruising and scabs around his neck are gone and the hair is growing back really well. He is more than happy to have his neck rubbed again. You can see where the wounds were but I think that will disappear in the next week or so. What I’m really happy about is that it hasn’t changed his relationship with his best mate Hugo. We know he is a very lucky boy.

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

BevE likes this.
  12. Cath

Cath Registered Users

That's Great news. So glad for you all that it turned out ok :)

BevE likes this.
  13. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Excellent to read the good news :)

BevE likes this.
  14. BevE

BevE Registered Users

Thankyou, I tried to get a photo but he won’t let me! It’s hard to see anyway as it’s mostly just chocolate fur! If just one person reads this story and prevents the same happening to their dog then I’ll be very happy with that. Thanks again for all the support. It means more than you know.

Cath likes this.
  15. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Oh my goodness. I don't know how I've missed this thread. That is a monstrous injury and what a dreadful accident. It's certainly made me change the collars I have on my 2 as they play 'bitey face' a lot and I would be distraught if anything like this happened - AND collars off in the house.

BevE likes this.
  16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thank goodness he’s better :)

We also have a ‘collars off in the house’ rule - and, since reading this, I’ve put a small pair of scissors in my pocket for walks - our four hooly a lot, even out and about.

BevE likes this.
  17. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I saw your initial post about the close call but then have missed all the resulting bad times you and Bailey have had to go through. I'm very glad to hear that he's doing so much better.

I've always been a 'collar on 100% of the time' because of the ID aspect, but I worry about this now as the one shelter I've been going to has collars on 98% of its dogs all the time and they are only supervised 4-6 hours of the day.

BevE likes this.
  18. Charles L Bloss Jr

Charles L Bloss Jr Registered Users

I don't like collars or leashes. Ranger, and our two cats, are micro chipped. None wear collars and as we live in the country, no leashes except when they go to the vet. Ranger has over 8 acres to play in, and he gets along with our cats very well. Since I retired in 1997, we have had labs. We had two black labs and a senior chocolate one. They have all passed. We adopted all from shelters, most had been abused. The cats were born in an old barn across the road, and they adopted us. We had to drive to MO to get Ranger. This world would be so sad without animals.

19. lauramcmann1221

lauramcmann1221 Registered Users

How is Bailey today? :)