Dawson hurt tail on first trip in sea

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Dave Bennett, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Registered Users

I noticed he has hurt his tail and isn't wagging it as often since going beserk on his water debut at Shanklin.
    He doesn't appear to be in any pain and his tail wagging has improved slightly but doesn't wag it when he meets a member of the family.
    What should I be doing as do not know what could be the issue?
    Thank you for all replies.

2. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

You could look up limber tail. It's not an uncommon condition when dogs go swimming, can be very uncomfortable, even painful, for them.
    I learned about it through this forum, I haven't had experience of it (thankfully) so I don't know what the treatment is. But I think dogs can be very stoic when it comes to pain so he may not be showing it but could be feeling it.

3. AlliumPurpleSensation

AlliumPurpleSensation Registered Users

Not my dog but I had this problem with my cat, as I was concerned it was a tail pull injury I had her x rayed as I’m a worry wart.

Turned out it was just a strain so meta cam and time and slowly started to improve, took about 2 weeks.

Not sure if it’s the same with dogs but thought I’d share :)

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Sounds very much like limber tail. Fairly common, and quite uncomfortable for our dogs! :)

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Sorry to hear that Dawson is having trouble with his tail. Here's some info on Limber Tail. Hope he is soon wagging happily again