Day 7 with new puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Pamster, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Pamster

Pamster Registered Users

Hello , we have a 9 week old Miniature Labradoodle. I hope it’s okay to post on here even though Albi isn’t a Labrador but I have found reading this forum really useful . We got Albi a week ago today and things have been going pretty well . He is in a crate downstairs - up until last night I have slept on a mattress near him . He has settled to seep without too much crying and for the first few days cried 2 times between 10pm and 6am . I took him straight out to the garden , he did his business and went back to sleep quickly . A few nights he has actually slept though . Last night however , he crashed out so early 845pm but I put him in his crate anyway . I got up at midnight even though he hadn’t cried and took him out to do a wee . I woke at 530am with him crying and discovered he had soiled in his crate . This hadn’t just happened though and I’m wondering why he hadn’t cried or was his crying never a toilet signal anyway ? Although I was upstairs I could easily hear him if he cried . He wasn’t distressed at all . We haven’t been using puppy pads for toilet training but rather taking him outside frequently which has been working well . We have had a couple of accidents and in fact twice he has entered his crate to wee in there ! Is his crate too big perhaps ? It’s bigger than we had planned but a friend offered it to us so we took it . He has a bed in there and blankets so it’s cosy and comfy . We had thought about putting puppy pads at one end then decided we would rather just get up during the night and take him out . I am now concerned he will see no issue in toileting in his crate . Any advice appreciate . Many thanks .

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Pamster no apologies needed about mixed heritage.

It takes more than a couple of nights to learn bladder and bowel control. Take the dog out regularly during the night. Don't wait for her to cry. You may miss the opportunity to reward toiletting in the one spot in the garden. Over time gradually reduce the number of toilet trips during the night.

3. Pamster

Pamster Registered Users

Thank you Michael . Should we set an alarm and get him up then ? How often throughout the night do you recommend ? If he is sleeping do we wake him and take him out ? Also , do you think having a large crate is an issue with toilet training or would it have happened anyway with a smaller crate ? Lots of questions sorry but keen to hear from anyone with experience. This is our first puppy . Thanks

4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Yes, you should get the dog up rather than teaching her to cry or whine to get your attention.

I work off the rule that a dog can hold her bladder for 1 hour for each month of life. It's a rough rule but it will give you a ball park estimate to work with. Your dog may need less or more frequent breaks. It might be helpful to keep a log of each night's events, and determine what you need to do.

Yes, you need to wake him before he wakes you. Take him out on a house line to the chosen spot in the garden. Don't play. Just stand next to him When he toilets, then say Yes and give treat or two. The positive reinforcement is really important. So make sure you carry some treats with you before you exit the house. Bring him inside. Put him back in crate. Since he has defecated or/and urinated you know that you can ignore his whinging as you leave him to return to your bed. Maybe take turns so that you can a reasonable amount of sleep.

Yes, if the crate is too large he may toilet down one end and sleep in the other. You can buy a partition to divide a large crate. And of course take it out when the dog is bigger.

Toilet training is tough through the night, but done well you don't have to worry about it again until your dog is a grey haired senior or ill. Good luck.

5. Pamster

Pamster Registered Users

Thanks very much . Albi went in his crate at 9 so I set my alarm for 1am - he was quiet and sleepy , took him out for a wee and he went back to sleep . My husband got up at 5 with him and then he stayed quietly / sleeping in his crate until 645am when I got up . Feel this is a better plan as we are more in control and will hopefully get a more restful sleep, rather than as I have been doing sleeping lightly waiting to hear him crying . Will stick with 4 hourly and see if that suits or will alter shorter / longer periods if needed . Will look into getting a crate divider too . Thanks again