Daycare...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Daycare...

Wow, Obi and all the other dogs looked like they were having great fun. Looks like a really good daycare facility.
    I've got to start looking as I need one full day in the office each week until March next year (I usually work flexi hours to suit me!)

Good luck with your search Julie ;D

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hope you get lucky with the daycare Julie. We are very lucky just in our village as there are 2 dog sitters, one right next door to me and other is the lady that lets me use her paddock. 1-1 dog care and sometimes friends to play with, anything from a dog walk, to daycare to holidays all in her beautiful home and land. I have never done it as I haven't needed to but it's there should I ever get a holiday ::) :(

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My sister has just opened a dog-sitting and dog-walking operation in West Sussex. It's obviously something many people need these days! When OH is away on business, I manage an extremely complex logistical process involving cleaning lady, friends, and neighbors to make sure Poppy gets taken out twice a day. Would be great just to be able to drop her at a nice doggy day-care place… Tomorrow boss is away, and Poppy will be coming in to the office with me! :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3365.msg36626#msg36626 date=1384980064]
    Next week he is going on a "group walk" with three other dogs, so I can see how that goes...
    [/quote]

So I was really, really, busy with work today, and asked the dog walker to take Charlie this afternoon. She is lovely, very experienced, and I trust her. She took him out with 2 older, sensible dogs for 1 hour on the common.

Charlie has a limp tonight. I asked her about the walk, and she said Charlie was hugely energetic as always, racing around everywhere, exploring every inch of a new bit of the woods, and he was the one instigating play with the other 2 dogs (they are normally quiet). That's kinda fine, but Charlie is not a dog who knows when it's time to slow down... bit worried now. OH has decided that Charlie sleeps with him tonight so he can keep an eye on him. Charlie got a carry (all 28kgs of him) up the stairs by OH. Much as I adore Charlie, I can't do dogs in bedrooms, so I'm in the spare room - worrying about the limp. Vet's first thing if it doesn't look better...

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh dear, Julie, hope he's ok. Probably just overdid himself.... Do let us know.

As for daycare....romping in the park?? Beach day?? Forget about the dog, I want in!! :D

I dunno, I think it's okay for our dogs to have the occasional down day, where not much is happening. As long as, in general, they are well exercised, socialized, and happy, it's not going to kill them to be bored occasionally. They'll just sleep. Just my opinion.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sure it's fine, Julie :) Dogs strain things just the same as us. But if he's not improving in the next day or so the the vet will be able to give him something.

Lisa - I would love to swap places with the dog!! He's got it made. I spend all day slaving away to support his extravangent lifestyle :)

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm sure it's just a strain Julie,let us know how he is when he wakes up.
    I'm gobsmacked you won't sleep in the same room as him,I thought he was in with you anyway! ;D
    Rachael...I've not commented on here ,must have been a busy day because I read all about Obi's adventures,what amazing facilities you have there,sigh!the fact that they create a newsletter for info about their day impresses me no end x

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

He seems much better this morning but still a slight limp. I'll keep an eye on him throughout the day and pop him down to the vet if it gets worse rather than better. He is still at the age where I'm worrying about ED and HD making an appearance. No reason to think he's particularly at risk though.

Anglea - no, he sleeps downstairs unless OH lets him up. Everytime he makes it into the bedroom, no matter how carefully OH says he's wiped his paws, there is a mark on the white linen... plus, Charlie wakes up in the middle of the night, jumps on bed and wants tummy rubs. I get grumpy, I'm not good at being woken up in the middle of the night. OH doesn't mind.

Lisa - I agree, a down day occasionally is fine. If I'm honest, yesterday was more about me than Charlie. I needed him out of my hair for a bit. And having him a bit more tired than normal, so he didn't spend the evening retrieving everything in the house that wasn't nailed down, was a godsend..

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Got to get a grip. Charlie still limping a bit. Not much, just a bit.

I have started to google hip dysplasia symtoms...

I am being totally silly. Charlie went out for his first 1 hour group walk, was a total hooligan and went mad as per, and has probably just slightly pulled something. I should keep him on lead walks tomorrow and see how we go. Right.

I tried to get an appointment at the vet tonight, they said no, it's not an emergency, bring him in Monday morning. They know me now. ::)

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Julie try not to worry, hard I know but if the vet isn't worried and said Monday is fine….

I would just keep Charlie on lead just to be sure. A rest won't do him any harm at all, he might even enjoy it :)

Stay OFF the internet ;)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=3365.msg37216#msg37216 date=1385234986]
    Stay OFF the internet ;)
    [/quote]

I will, I will.

Love this dog so much!

12. Oberon

Seriously, don't worry. However, I do understand.... When Obi developed a limp after a big day at day care (about the same age as Charlie) I had, within hours, picked out a canine orthopedic surgeon. But it was just a strain.

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3365.msg37217#msg37217 date=1385235189]
    [quote author=charlie link=topic=3365.msg37216#msg37216 date=1385234986]
    Stay OFF the internet ;)
    [/quote]

I will, I will.

Love this dog so much!
    [/quote]

Good girl and of course you love Charlie so much :*, wouldn't want it any other way :). Too many dogs neglected :'(

Now go watch Dr Who ::) xxxx

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I most am definitely watching Dr. who! Take my mind off it!

15. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

how is charlie ? is he still showing signs of a limp ?

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oh no, poor Charlie. I hope you get it sorted soon. Licks from Harley to Charlie x :p

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3365.msg37218#msg37218 date=1385235294]
    Seriously, don't worry. However, I do understand.... When Obi developed a limp after a big day at day care (about the same age as Charlie) I had, within hours, picked out a canine orthopedic surgeon. But it was just a strain.
    [/quote]

Thanks Rachael....have resisted looking up surgeons - so far.

Er, when you posted this wasn't it the middle of the night in your bit of Australia? Not trouble sleeping, I hope! Or me getting muddled with time zones!

18. Oberon

LOL. Think it was about 5am. I went to bed early and that always makes me wake up early....

19. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Hope Charlie is ok....just my tuppenceworth on daycare. My two were both in a high dog volume free running day care centre from puppydom three or four days a week. I took em out when cuillin started to most definately not want to go anymore and was getting really nervy on creche mornings.. Brods was about nine months old when they stopped going. Their days are much quieter now but they both actually seem happier. cuillin is much less hyper and a much more chilled girl, and brods is definately better behaved! I think it just depends on the dog but the big free running do whatever you fancy day care centres might not be the best model for Young Boy Labs, older dogs not such an issue... I think they are great for a lot of dogs, but brodick wasnt benefiting from the lack of boundaries...I worried they would be bored when i took them out but honestly I think they are happy to live a quieter life, like Charlie they get plenty of exercise, fun, and stimulation at home. I think Charlie seems a very lucky and happy boy with his current set up :).Having said that I have pals who use the same day care centre and their dogs love it and do really well there so I guess it just depends on your pup!

20. Oberon

Definitely agree that it is not for all dogs :) Obi's Monday and Wednesday day care is sort of of the 'free for all' variety while his Thursday one is quite structured. We decided that a mix of both was best for him.

The 'Thursday' one, that held the river swimming trip, is holding a beach trip tomorrow that Obi is booked on (so he is not going to his 'free for all' daycare tomorrow). I have to work. He gets to go to the beach for the day with all his friends. Sometimes it's no fun being the human....