De-crating question

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Elsie, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Elsie

Elsie Registered Users

I want to end the use of a crate now our puppy is 10 months old, and am taking the de-crating process slowly. She has spent 2 nights in her crate with the door open, and all has gone fine. But sleeping in a crate with the door open is very different to sleeping without a crate at all. Is there any other step before folding the crate away?

2. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

When I decrated my pup she had been choosing to spend time out of her crate in a bed right next to it, as I'd started to leave the crate door open. Her crate was in the kitchen behind a baby gate. So when she was spending more time out than in I figured I may as well remove the crate. I guess the transition happened over the course of a few weeks, she was approximately 6 months when decrated for good.

3. Elsie

Elsie Registered Users

We’re 3 nights with the crate door left open at bedtime and i’m very pleased that nothing has been destroyed and she has waited to be toileted outdoors. Second morning I found her on the settee, So I put chairs on it last night! This morning she started whining at 4:30 am by the kitchen gate, I didn’t go to her and she quitenend eventually. Is this a set-back? I’m really hoping she will sleep better tonight as she usually sleeps so well.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I bet she was crying to get on the settee!

:)

drjs@5, edzbird and selina27 like this.
  5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I wouldn't have thought so, if she went back to bed. Is it possible to shut the kitchen door as well? I find that Cassie will complain in the morning if she can see into the rest of the house, but if it's shut doesn't matter who is up and about at whatever time, or if they go in and out of the kitchen where she sleeps, she just waits patiently.