Death of my 11 month old labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Chichou, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Chichou

Chichou Registered Users

Hello,

Sorry for my english, it might not be perfect (i am french).

2 days ago, i found my 11 month old female labrador, Pandora, dead in her basket in the morning.
    She looked like sleeping, was biting her tongue.
    We don't know what happened, we are waiting for the results of the necropsy.
    She was under treatment for epilepsy, she had 3 small crisis 2 months ago, that's why we have started this treatment. Since then she didn't have any crisis.

When we brang Pandora to the vet after we found her in the morning, she said she might have had several epilepsy crisis which leaded to death.
    But after some research, i am wondering if it was not a heath disease instead (like Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia).

My husband and I are completely devastated. She was too young to leave us... she was extremely friendly, loved everybody, dogs and humans.
    The day before her death she was in perfect health, playing with her friends at the park, chasing the ball, jumping on people as usual...

I feel extremely sad and I don't understand what happened. I feel guilty we didn't see the problem, we didn't hear anything at night (she was sleeping in our room).

I am here to look for some support and exchange with people who live or know this situation.
    Thank you for your help.

2. CeeCee

CeeCee Registered Users

I am so sorry for your loss. You must be devastated. Please don't feel guilty. I'm sure you did everything you could to keep your Pandora safe and well. My heart breaks for you.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

So sorry to hear this, just heartbreaking. It could be any number of things but sounds like she didn't suffer, and there was nothing you could do. Take care.

4. Mason's mom

Mason's mom Registered Users

I am so sorry for the loss of your pup. My dog suffered from epilepsy most of his life. I always feared a status seizure which could be one possible reason for your the sudden death of your precious pup. Just know that there was nothing that you could do. So very sorry

5. Robin smith

Robin smith Registered Users

It’s so hard to lose a pet, I know this is very upsetting and there are no easy answers. she probably didn't suffer for long, and your family will be able to remember the happy times that you spent together.

6. lindze

lindze Registered Users

Hi

Please dont feel guilty, I'm sure you loved her with all your heart.
    My 9 year old died suddenly last Monday. I was upstairs wrapping presents, I came down to give him his tea and he was laying by the stairs. I thought that's typical he knows when its tea time! But then he couldnt get up and just collapsed. The vet said he had a tumour that was bleeding internally and died soon after. I feel bad constantly wondering if I should have spotted this months ago. Maybe I could have saved him. These thoughts run around our heads all the time dont they.
    I feel your loss and send you hugs! Please remember those funny puppy moments!!

CeeCee likes this.
  7. Chichou

Chichou Registered Users

Hello there.

I am so sorry for your lost. I hope time will help you to smile again...
    I understand your pain. Death is really unpredictable and uncontrolable.
    Like you i feel guilty, I feel that I was not a good master for my dog, I didn't take care of her enough.
    But I believe deep inside me that we shouldn't be too cruel with ourself. We didn't have bad intentions.

I hope our dogs enjoyed their life with us.
    Wish you the best for the future.