Decisions re Spero

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by Naya, May 3, 2015.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Last week I received some not so good news regarding my health - surgical intervention is no longer an option so it is pain management and my condition will get progressively worse over time
    Due to this and several other things, we have decided that we can't keep Spero . I have spoken to Gabi who arranged the rescue and we are looking at where he could be rehomed.

Unfortunately today (after the escape and peeing all over our Internet box and sky box) Spero's intro to Benson did not go well. We went to neutral territory, but as soon as Spero spotted Benson he started growling and barking. We walked them closer and he calmed down, had a sniff of Benson then went for him really aggressively. It was awful . We had to physically restrain him
    Harley had a short walk with Benson which she loved . She also made us all laugh after jumping into a trough full of water. We needed to laugh after everything that happened. Kate ended up taking Benson back into their house and it took ages to calm Spero down. We decided not to bring Casper out as it would of been really bad.
    At home he is such a loving boy who loves attention and is eager to learn. As soon as we go out of the house and garden it is totally different, he will try to get to every dog and several people have commented on how aggressive his body language is. I think it's all so new that he doesn't know how to cope with the big wide world yet. Due to all of this, I cannot allow Spero to go with my dog walker which will really limit me around work etc.
    if anyone knows of someone who doesn't work, doesn't have dogs or only has a bitch, doesn't live in a busy area, has experience of rescues and would like to adopt, please, please do let me know. He really doesn't deserve to be put back in a kennel. He just needs the right home and unfortunately it isn't mine
    I feel so bad, but I can't give him what he needs, I really wish I could

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Decisions re Spero

That's so totally understandable Naya, it sounds like Spero needs a lot of time put in to adjust. You've still done a wonderful thing giving him a break and a chance to find his journey onwards from here - and don't feel bad if he spends time just in the house and garden while he is waiting for his new home, don't take him out if it's stressful. Your home and garden is a billion times better than where he was, for sure.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Your health must come first Ternaya. I am sure the rescue home will find Spero a new experienced home, in the meantime you can continue to do the best you can for him by showing him love and happiness. Rescuing a dog is not easy that's for sure so no beating yourself up. You got Spero our of awful conditions and have shown him what it is to live in a home with a family that love him xxxx

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Very sorry to hear the news about your health - I hope it can be managed to keep you as pain free as possible. Your decision about Spero sounds sensible in your circumstances and at least you know he could be rehomed with a bitch. I'm sure the right place is out there for him.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Sorry to hear of your health problems and the hard decision you have made about Spero in view of his behaviour. Don't feel guilty, you have done a wonderful job so far and have shown him how a loving home can be. I'm sure that there is a loving home out there for him and in the mean time he will be loved and cared for and helped to, overcome his ongoing issues.

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

So sorry Ternaya , but you mustn't feel bad . Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't , simple as that . I also had to return a dog to shelter after six weeks some time ago due to aggression , Sam was terrified of it and it hated children, despite me being told otherwise . I took great comfort from knowing that the dog was rehomed by an older couple with no visiting children and no other dogs , it was like I had assessed the dog for them in order to see how she behaved in a home environment , you must try and think the same .

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry to hear this, but Spero is a very lucky boy, and wouldn't be where he is now without you.
    I guess it was unlikely to be plain sailing, but you definitely have to put yourself and your family first, and if you don't feel his behaviours are "fixable", to be able to fit in with you and your family in a realistic timescale, then you only have one option.
    We must remember what the purpose of a Fosterer is, and that is not to make a long term commitment, but to give a dog a temporary refuge and chance to be placed in a longer term home.
    You are a star for being there when he needed you
    xxxxxx

8. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Sorry to hear about the difficulties with your health. Spero has been lucky to have spent time with you, though, and the experiences you've given him will have helped to determine the best sort of home for him. Well done for giving him a chance.

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ternary a I'm so sorry to hear your health problems are worsening.

From a Spero point of view I don't think I can add anything t what's been said. You have done a wonderful thing and given him a chance he wouldn't otherwise have had. You should feel good about that.

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You only intended to provide a foster home, not a permanent home. It's best to be realistic about it all and I think you're making the right decision.

11. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I'm sorry Naya it must be a very difficult decision for you. I can only repeat what others have said you mustnt feel guilty or bad about it. Kate's right in that thanks to you Spero now has a better assessment on his behaviour and so a suitable home can be found much easier.

Take care of yourself and remember you started Spero off on his new life which was a wonderful thing to do.

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

You mustn't feel you have failed, you have both have helped enormously in supporting Spero. This is precisely the role of a fosterer. He couldn't have done it without you. The odds are now stacked in his favour as both of you have helped so much. He is a sweet and beautiful dog, so trusting with people, however clearly very stressed when outside. That's understandable considering what he has come through and more so recently considering the upheaval of travelling.

After meeting him today I completely agree with you, he is a complex dog, I have every confidence he will make a super dog for someone, you can see that straight away in him. He will however need time, professional help and a lot of space to help him over the next few months. It is also difficult not really knowing the detail of his background, granted in this case that would not have been realistic. Another role of a foster assessing how a rehomed dog manages initially in order to help find the right home/help going forward.

I wouldn't worry about Bombproof Benson...he just adores Harley and loved playing together in the field! For once he had his favourite girl all to himself :) :) I was a bit worried when Casper snuck out of the house and I spotted him off lead complete with waggy taiil watching us all with amusement! ;D

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Behind you all the way Ternaya, you have given Spero a great start, and helped him out of the pound, and shown him love and happiness...

14. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I am so sorry to hear this Naya.

I know you are a very caring person, you went into this with the very best of intentions and must be devastated that you need to rehome Spero.

Your health and how it impinges on those around you must come first. Rescue dogs can be very difficult at the best of times. It can take many months before they calm down.

I think you are right make the decision now, far less disruptive to Spero.

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ternaya,I can imagine the mixture of feelings you are experiencing but don't feel bad.....you did a wonderful thing standing up and coming forward to help him on this step of his journey.Of course everyone hoped it would have the fairy tale ending where Spero had no problems and slotted easily into your lives but I think most of us ( even me with my limited dog experience) knew that possibly this wasn't going to be the case.It was very much a watch and wait situation.You have to be up to it physically and not compromise your health,I'm sorry you've had bad news after your tests x
    Obviously all us on here know about the situation and can spread the word,will you have help from the rescue organisation?
    Benson sounds like he bounced back pretty well,I think you've been a marvelous help and support Kate too ,well done x
    Ternaya ,Spero has been loved,comforted and felt safe in your home with your family ,you've really done a lot for him xxx

16. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

So sorry, Naya. You are doing the right thing.

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Thank you all for your kind words and support
    The past few days I have had lots of support from Gabi and the rescue organisation. They have all been brilliant. I am off work at the minute as my back is so bad so am spending lots of time with the dogs.
    Spero has been so good at home. I have done some 1-2-1 training sessions when Harley is out on her walk with our dog walkers partner. He can now sit anywhere, give me paw, stay in room whilst I walk away for a few seconds, lie down, knows his name and has started playing tug with a figure of 8 rope with Harley . We are working on getting his attention when playing with Harley and rewarding any attention he gives us whilst distracted.
    We have decided to only do lead walks around the streets to let him get used to the big wide world - we only do 10 mins max at a time and it is going well
    Last night he wouldn't settle, even with Harley in the living room with him. They both ended up in our bedroom, harley assumed her normal position on our bed and Spero slept next to our bed on the dog bed. They both slept right through .

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You are doing great things with Spero, thank you so much! :D That's great news that he can manage short lead walks. I think the exposure to other dogs and the wide world was obviously too much for him to manage at the beginning, having only been used to pound life. By the sound of things, with your help he will start to get used to being in a normal home, and when the right person or family comes along, he will make a wonderful family pet, and that is largely due to the love and help you are giving him. 8)

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That's wonderful to read Ternaya , you are doing so well and helping Spero so much , a family will truly appreciate all you have done :)

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Such useful things to do with him!! Really helping him learn to focus and cope with all the new sensations he must be feeling.

I hope your back gives you a break soon x