Decrating trial

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Re: Decrating trial

Can I ask when you de-crate them during the day, do you leave a door open for them to toilet? Or do you expect them to hold it in until they are let out?

Lou x

2. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

We have a rota between us and a dog walker to let them out and play with them every lunchtime, we have never had an accident. They have always been v good with housetraining tho, I can rarely get them to go out at night before we go to bed and they are tired, they seem to have cast iron bladders! They usually sleep all morning and they are only left for about 2 and a half hours in the afternoon x

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Louise - I didn't leave a door open, and they didn't make a mess in the time they were alone. They have a pretty good grasp on toilet training now, although I won't say they were easy nor are 100% yet, but for that one day, they were fine :)

I wouldn't be happy leaving them that long every day - and I'm sure boredom would make them become destructive if it happened on a regular basis - but as a one-off, these things come along sometimes.

4. Loopyloo30

The thing is, Bob still toilets in the house UNLESS he can get access to the outside.. it's sooo annoying! Is this something he'll eventually grow out of do you think? I could never leave him de-crated unless the back door was left open. And this time of year, it makes our downstairs really cold.

Lou x

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Loopyloo30 link=topic=9740.msg141561#msg141561 date=1423005417]
    The thing is, Bob still toilets in the house UNLESS he can get access to the outside.. it's sooo annoying! Is this something he'll eventually grow out of do you think? I could never leave him de-crated unless the back door was left open. And this time of year, it makes our downstairs really cold.

Lou x
    [/quote]

dogs toilet trained with the door open all the time often do this - we've heard it a lot on the forum. They have learned to go outside, but not hold it if they can't. He won't grow out of it, it's a training thing. I think you have to shut the door and repeat his toilet training, unfortunately... :(

6. Loopyloo30

Hi Julie. The door is closed most of the time when we are there. If we see Bob standing by the door we open it for him. It's only when we aren't there to see him standing by the door that he'll go on the mat. He doesnt make a noise that's the problem so if we aren't in the room we don't know to open the door. We used to take him out every 20 mins when he was little and reward him for going etc. Not sure what we've done wrong?!

Lou x

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I honestly think it sounds like exactly what I said...maybe he'll hold it for a little bit for you to get to him if you are quick, but that's all. Go back to basics now, I'd say. We've honestly seen it lots, if you don't repeat the training, it will continue.

Shut the door, and take him back out to the garden like he was an 8 week old puppy. Don't give him the chance to make a mistake and go indoors, and don't let him go out alone because the door is open. At all. And reward ever single pee in the garden. You might have to do this for some time...

8. snowbunny

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=9740.msg141565#msg141565 date=1423007558]
    And reward ever single pee in the garden.
    [/quote]

With three treats. Not two, not four. Three.

Yes, I'm still intrigued by that ;)

9. Loopyloo30

What one after the other you mean??

Honestly I can't believe we are back to toilet training our nearly 6 month old lab. We read everything and tried to do it properly. Not anywhere did we read not to leave the door open for them when we went out. :(

Lou x

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, count out the treats: one, two, three. It works. :)

I know it's disappointing, but he isn't just going to grow out of it. It really is a training thing.

11. Loopyloo30

So do we still take him out when he asks? Also it'll mean more crate time for Bob now if we are out too I guess.... Poor pup I just asked him to go out again and waved some treats under his nose (he wasn't budging otherwise) and just looked confused. Didn't go as he only went 1/2hr ago anyway. So I didn't give him the treat id bribed him outside for either lol! Poor Bob. Still will persevere ...

Lou x

12. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

It shouldn't be quite so bad this time. You might be able to get away with taking him out once an hour rather than every 30 minutes as Inca only goes once every 2 hours now and they are a similar age. Good luck, we all know how painful toiket training is!

13. Loopyloo30

[quote author=Incastinker link=topic=9740.msg141594#msg141594 date=1423037544]
    It shouldn't be quite so bad this time. You might be able to get away with taking him out once an hour rather than every 30 minutes as Inca only goes once every 2 hours now and they are a similar age. Good luck, we all know how painful toiket training is!
    [/quote]

Yes I hope so! Thank you. I'm just about to go out for the rest of the morning which means I'll have to re-crate Bob... sorry definitely going off on a tangent from this thread seeing as it was all about de-crating! I should start another one up really...

I'll make up a kong with some kibble in it... I hope he'll be OK.. he did a very runny poo on his walk just now. I was going to use cream cheese, but probably not a good idea. He should be in there for about 3 hours while I'm out. It was so nice leaving him before with the door open, I could completely relax.. but realise now that has set us back in terms of training.

Lou x

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hmmm (thinks ...)

He may be pooing inside because he can't hold on to it long enough to ask - poo a bit too sloppy.

I recommend pro-fibre, full amount of scoops on each meal when poos are not firm gradually reducing to a pinch. It has good gut bacteria in there too so that help keep the poos firm as well.

I would hold off any rawhide or cheese etc too until he has good firm poos he can easily hold on to :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BEXP5MA/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1423045313&sr=1&keywords=pro+fibre

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=9740.msg141487#msg141487 date=1422986786]
    Oh my, just had a look at the Orvis website! Those beds are DELICIOUS! But the PRICE! :eek:

I think I'll have to save that link for when I have a little windfall :)
    [/quote]

They do good sales through the year Fiona and if you haven't got a 'bed chewer' I pretty much think you would get years out of them they are such good quality.I asked family to carry one out for me to save a bit on delivery....well only fair in exchange for a free holiday! ;D

16. snowbunny

Excellent, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good sale and in the meantime, try them out on the somewhat less scarily-priced Scruffs beds :)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Big fan of Orvis beds - my OH gave me two for Christmas one year....not quite sure what I thought about that (Charlie got his own pressies too ;D ) but they are brill.

18. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=9740.msg141625#msg141625 date=1423045349]
    Hmmm (thinks ...)

He may be pooing inside because he can't hold on to it long enough to ask - poo a bit too sloppy.

I recommend pro-fibre, full amount of scoops on each meal when poos are not firm gradually reducing to a pinch. It has good gut bacteria in there too so that help keep the poos firm as well.

I would hold off any rawhide or cheese etc too until he has good firm poos he can easily hold on to :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BEXP5MA/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1423045313&sr=1&keywords=pro+fibre
    [/quote]

Mags do you think rawhide causes runny poo? If so this could be what causes Bella's issues. If it is I'll know tonight .... She just ate one ..... ???

19. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=9740.msg140914#msg140914 date=1422799620]
    [quote author=Boogie link=topic=9740.msg140909#msg140909 date=1422798082]
    My two would need a bigger bed than that if they slept together as they both like to stretch right out (they don't sleep together, but their day bed is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JJJU5NA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage and it's fabulous - it even comes with a spare cover :) )
    [/quote]

Harley has this bed too and loves it :)
    [/quote]

I've just bought one for Bella, figure if she can manage not chewing this one she will be ok for the others , like how you can wash the covers too, I'm particular about washing her vet bedding from both crates weekly :D my friend has a stinky dog bed that you can't remove covers from so she rarely washes it :-\

20. CDM

CDM Registered Users

The kosi Pet White Sherpa bed has arrived ha ha it's MASSIVE, but great!!!!! :D