Dew claw removal?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Halo, May 25, 2016.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

A quick google provided variations on this theme from wikipedia:

Historically, cropping was performed on working dogs in order to decrease the risk of health complications, such as ear infections or hematomas. Crops were also performed on dogs that might need to fight, either while hunting animals that might fight back or while defending livestock herds from predators, or because they were used for pit-fighting sports such as dogfighting or bear-baiting.[5][6] The ears were an easy target for an opposing animal to grab or tear.[5]

Cropping the ears of livestock guardian dogs was, and may still be, traditional in some pastoral cultures. The ears of working flock-defense dogs such as the Caucasian Shepherd Dog (Kavkazskaïa Ovtcharka)[7] and the Pastore Maremmano-Abruzzese were traditionally cropped to reduce the possibility of wolves or aggressor dogs getting a hold on them.

Original link here (there are some unpleasant descriptions of what was done though so be warned) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cropping_(animal)#History_and_purposes

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

maybe years ago they did it to stop tearing in fight etc but apparently the cutting a splinting process is truely grim.

I can't think why anyone would like to cut off soft darling puppy ears i don't think there is any justification for it at all. The dog fighting monsters do it to some of their dogs to prevent injury during fights. Also a lot of herding breeds had there ears croppped due to wolves grabbing them by the ears when they were trying to guard the flocks. Very medival very unkind

3. SwampDonkey

Yep what Barbara said

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I also think it's because it makes the dogs look more fierce - certainly with Dobermans I think this was a prime motivator. They look much more peaceful with their droopy ears and long tails, and in fact I think they actually ARE less aggressive when they are left uncropped and with long tails, because they can communicate better with other dogs.

Naya likes this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

If puppies at 2 days old are having their dew claws removed, is under any kind of anesthetic? That's the worrying part for me. I think any dog whether it works or not can damage their dew claws doing agility, flyball or simply running or even just getting them caught on something.

Cropping ears is just the most cruel and sad thing :(

Naya and MaccieD like this.
  6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

According to the RCVS website anyone over the age of 18 can remove dew claws as long as the puppy is no more than 5 days old and the eyes haven't opened. Due to the age no anaesthesia is given. Interestingly that as far as the RCVS is concerned dew claw only refers to the claws on the hind legs, anatomically the claws on the front legs are not dew claws although the law doesn't seem to make any distinction

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

A dog looks a certain way for a reason, it may get ear infections and mites, that's life so why on earth would anyone crop a flop eared dog for those reasons.

This can't be justified at all on any level. It's vile.

MaccieD likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

We are bad monkeys. We do thing because we want to and then make up reasons after or so its seems in many cases. Its not just restricted to dogs

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'll just say that the veterinary associations in the UK, US, Canada and Australia all have stated polices against tail docking.

If anyone insists on amputation of puppy toes, tails or any other body part, please have it done by a vet (I believe that this is required in the UK for tails) and please insist on pain relief for the puppy. It is not the case that puppies feel any less pain than adult dogs.

MaccieD and charlie like this.