Diet advice

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by bobski, May 1, 2017.

1. bobski

bobski Registered Users

We have a healthy male Yellow Lab apart from he is often sick. We feed him on Field and Trial Muesli. As recommended by a couple of friends. He gets the odd treat but keep it to a minimum. Any body else lab have a dodgy stomach or any advise on types of food Welcome. Many thanks Bob

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi Bob , and welcome . Have you mentioned the sickness to your Vet ? It might be worth doing so, just in case there is a regurgitation/reflux issue ? I feed my Lab on Field and Trial , the duck and rice or salmon and rice as he tends to have a sensitive digestion , he has some raw meat mixed in with it plus a few veggies and hasn't had any tummy issues for ages .

bobski likes this.
  3. bobski

bobski Registered Users

Hi thanks for reply
    I think we will try him on that been looking at there webpage. Vet doesn't seem concerned about it. Its not all the time as far as we know, as he has a habit of eating it!

kateincornwall likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How quickly does he eat? Zaba would often throw up soon after meals. He now has a slow bowl and he's been fine ever since.

:)

5. Arun Natarajan

Arun Natarajan Registered Users

Hi Bob,

Oats / Oatmeal can be a good alternative, if he has stomach problems. Make sure it is cooked well before giving, and ofcourse let it cool down before he could chow chow! Cookie was also having many skin problems, which I have discussed in other threads. Since, I started giving him Oats, he has improved much. Oats is Gluten free and much easier to digest.

Start with just one spoon and slowly increase the quantity. Just put it in half cup of boiling water and let it do for 5-6 minutes. Let it cool down and then let him have it.

Apart from supporting digestion problems, it also help in enhancing the skin and coat as well. When you pick from the shelf, make sure that it reads Gluten free coz, these days the commercialize oats also and many hybrid version of oats have traces of gluten in it. If you get your hands on Wild Oats, nothing like it.

Dont worry, give him lots of love and stick with him in his troubled times. I wish for his good health.

Regards
    Arun