Different dog when i'm not there...

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by markclaxton, Apr 12, 2016.

1. markclaxton

markclaxton Registered Users

Hi!

We have a 9-month-old chocolate lab called Charlie. He's a good dog and is training well, but we're having some behaviour problems.

When I'm at home he behaves well but when I go to work and he's at home with my partner he becomes a different dog.

He becomes a "relentless pain in the arse" apparently. He doesn't stop wanting to play, he nibbles and jumps all over my partner. She has to keep giving him time-outs in his crate because she can't handle it.

Anyone else ever have these problems? And if so, how can we fix it?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi , it seems to me like he is a Dads dog for sure , which is fine but not to the point that he misbehaves for your partner . Maybe she could take more of a role in his training , this always helps to create a bond , especially if it is game related as young dogs quickly become bored if its all too serious ;) The other problem is that when we get wound up, as it would seem that she may do , dogs do pick up on this and are more likely to " show off " , a relaxed approach always pays dividends , we relax, they relax . Walks and fun training with your partner should slowly begin to make headway , good luck .

3. markclaxton

markclaxton Registered Users

Yeah we think Charlie see's my partner as a playmate.

We're currently on a training course now and my partner does most of the training routines the instructor asks of us.

My partner isn't too confident walking Charlie because of his strength but it is something I'm pushing towards.

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Walking him would make a huge difference Mark , if she just tried ten minutes at a time and slowly built up as she becomes more confident . Lots of luck