Difficulties with new website.

Discussion in 'Life With A Lab' started by Stacia, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Can't find newest posts, comes up with a posts a few days earlier. When I have written something, twice it has come up with 'error' and what I had written is lost for ever! Sorry to say the forum isn't nearly as good as the original.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I can't think of any reason why you would not be getting a current list of updated threads when you click on 'new topics' :( I can appreciate that it's really frustrating....

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Thanks Oberon. Think I will disappear for a few days and see if it is better later:)

4. Oberon

Just had a thought...

When you get the list of topics that have received the most recent reply, under the topic heading it shows the date the thread was started. That might be days ago. But then on the right it shows the latest post, which should be very recent. So, if you click on New Topics now do you see this thread and then my avatar over on the right?

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I don't think you should have to disasppear Stacia, someone on the technical team should help you. x

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi sorry to hear you're still having problems. I had a few to begin with but they have gradually been resolved. I has some problems posting to begin with but that was down to permissions in groups. Do you have the tab "New Topics" under the "Forums". You should have "Mark Channels Read" and "Members List" next to it. That is the quickest way to the latest posts. For me, one of the big improvements is that if you have a problem the autosave feature saves any post you was typing so when you go back to the post you have the option of going back to the saved version or discarding.

Have you contacted admin through the "Contact Us" button on the bottom bar or through the "Bugs" post. I've found the responses vey quick and problems resolved.

I'm sure the teething problems will all soon be resolved, personally I think the new site is really good - it takes a bit of getting used to but some of the new features are great improvements.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Stacia, I know it's frustrating getting used to something new, do try to stick with it - things do get a lot, lot easier once you get used to everything. :)

I don't find "new topics" display very helpful at all. I use the "view all" on the sidebar of recent posts and that takes me to something that looks very similar to the old forum's index of recent posts. Have you tried that? Should I post some pics to help you find it?

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Julie's right Stacia, I am finding it difficult too and it's not as easy to use as the original one. I use the "view all" and I find that helpful. Still trying to find my way round it and failing miserably sometimes :( x

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I'm gradually getting used to the new layout. Two questions, can anyone answer?

What does 'Mark Channels Read' mean?

Also - is there an equivalent to the old 'New replies to your posts' button?

thanks
    Rosie

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Rosie - I haven't worked out if the Mark Channels Read does anything at all yet - one of my unanswered questions too.
    I THINK the equivalent to "New replies to your posts" would have to be done by subscribing to the threads that you post in, then getting a Message when there is a reply on it.
    In your settings you can select what you subscribe to automatically, or you can select individual posts or boards manually.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Stacia, my screen on new threads looks like this if it helps - I have marked the bits that I think make the difference

[​IMG]new posts by drjs_5, on Flickr

So, Select
    • Forums
    • New topics
    • Sort by - Date-last update
    • Order - Descending
    • Then go to the little blue down arrows in the circles to get to unread posts.
    I am missing them being autmatically marked as read though.
    This isn't the only way to get there but I think it isn't bad.

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

The other way that might help is this -

[​IMG]new posts 2 by drjs_5, on Flickr

So try choosing
    • Forums
    • Home
    • Latest Activity
    • Filter
    • Then choose what timescale - if you were on the day before then Today might be enough without overloading
    • Not sure what New Topics On/Off does - not experimented with that :p

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

OR instead of chosing Forums/Home/Latest Activity,
    Go Forums/Home and choose Latest Topics (on right under Pippa's books) and View All

14. Oberon

Nice work, Jac.

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Anything to avoid working ;)

16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Thank you all for your helpful advice, have read and inwardly digested! drjs@5 your first advice with relevant ways highlighted was very helpful, the second one's highlights I don't see to have on my laptop. Julie T, your 'view all' was very helpful. Trouble is I don't really have the time to work my way around the website, but I will persist and gradually get to grips with it, thank you all again for your help, much appreciated.

17. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Don't stay away too long Stacia. You have such a wealth of experience and knowledge.

18. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Sorry you are not happy Stacia. It has been a huge and challenging task moving and we are still working away at all the different bugs and fixing things as we go. I know it isn't the same, but hope that we can all get used to it in time. Unfortunately moving from smf was not optional as all websites need to be mobile responsive now if they are to be ranked by google.

I'm going to close this thread now because we really do need to keep all bugs and problems in the same thread, or the admin team won't find them. I only found this thread this morning. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.