Disaster training session

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Sammyboy, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Sammyboy

Sammyboy Registered Users

Just home after Sams training session , blooming knackered ! It was disastrous/hysterical / mad all rolled into one :rolleyes:.

We had missed last week as I was sick . So Sam thought it very important to sniff every bit of wall & floor rather than listen . We then had a mad spell of biting and jumping at the lead ( has never done this before) , thinking it was great game . Managed a few exercises just about ! Also thought the marker cones were just the tasty thing he needed :oops:. He even managed to slip his collar & went round all the other dogs to see if he could tempt them to play .

The positive is that he had perfect recall away from the food cupboard he found in the trainers office :D

I so hope he'll be back to concentrating next week !

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

:p Lol. I think we've probably all had times like that. And the recall from a food cupboard was a definite success.

Sammyboy likes this.
  3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

definitely ride on the wave of success for this one.

Sammyboy likes this.
  4. Sammyboy

I made sure we left straight after lol

5. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Ignore everything else recall from a food cupboard is fantastic :nod:.

Sammyboy and Debs like this.
  6. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

:cwl::cwl:I love these crazy dogs!

Sammyboy likes this.
  7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

As they say: "Bad experience, good story" :)

I think a lot of us can relate!!!!! My dog has definitely perfected the whole 'class clown' thing...

Sammyboy and Pilatelover like this.
  8. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

This made me chuckle :D:DMabel does that when we miss a class, big congratulations on the recall from food cupboard, gold star in my book :)

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

A training class is boring without a young labrador! :) Well done on the food cupboard recall, very impressive! :)

Sammyboy likes this.
  10. Sammyboy

I'm so glad it's not just Sam does this :D

11. Sammyboy

I'm sending him over to you for a holiday ! :D

lorilou61 likes this.
  12. Sammyboy

I should say in Sams defence, the only reason he slipped his collar was because the trainer wanted the lead attached to collar rather than the harness .... Not entirely sure why . Does anyone else's class insist on walking with the dog on the left ?? Trainer keeps asking me to do this , which totally confuses Sam , as I always have him on my right ?

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It's the common position to have your dog walking on your left (especially with gun dogs, where most people would be carrying their gun in their right hand, I believe). But, I think it's important to have a dog that's happy to walk on both sides for practicality. I have two different cues; "heel" means walk on my left and "close" means walk on my right. It mean you can get past obstacles sometimes more easily. Plus, if you ever want to do any agility (even for fun), it's important that your dog is happy on both sides.

14. Sammyboy

Thanks @snowbunny , the trainer mentioned showing / competitions etc , which he knows I have no intention of doing . He walks just fine for the husband on either side , but I think my walking dogs on the right came from pram pushing days and avoiding leads getting caught in the wheels! I'll give him time on both sides and see how it goes , thanks x

15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

The KC used to insist on leads on collars for Good Citizen awards, but that was changed earlier this year and its now permissible to attach the lead to a harness. And walking on the left is really only necessary for obedience competitions.

Sammyboy likes this.
  16. Sammyboy

Thanks @Joy , must mention the change to trainer , if that's why he's trying to get me to do it on collar ! Sam is a big strong fella, and I'm a wee 5ft 1 , harness is a life saver for me when he pulls ( especially if he is mad excited like yesterday lol) . And my right arm is def much stronger than my left :Dxx

Pilatelover likes this.
  17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Love your story, and can definitely relate!

Sammyboy and Pilatelover like this.
  18. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I'm pleased to read this as we failed silver last December, for a number of reasons :rolleyes:, once we can go back to classes I'll be relieved she can wear her harness. Miss I'm everyone's best friend also known as Mabel will be so much easier to manage. :cwl:

Sammyboy likes this.
  19. Sammyboy

I just read up on the guidelines there , and there is no requirement to walk dog on left for the bronze either ! Looks like I'll be doing what works best for me & Sam in relation to the good citizen :D

20. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think it's a good move for the KC to allow harnesses, but they're also now allowing head collars ( like Haltis) on tests, which I think is a bad move. How can you say a dog can walk to heel if it needs a restraining head collar?