Do we get a second dog?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Labkim, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Labkim

Labkim Registered Users

Our Labrador is 5 years old and we are on the waiting list for a puppy later this year, we both want another dog however I don't know how hunter will react, he loves all other dogs so from that point of view he would be fine, I would like to rescue an adult lab however as we work (I'm only part time) but because we work rescues have turned us down which is a real shame! Is it good to get another lab or is it better to go for a different breed altogether?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Do we get a second dog?

I guess there is something to be said for sticking with what you know, breed wise , but some of us on here have mixes .What I would say is to carefully research your favoured breeds , read and more read before committing yourself . I have a Lab and a rescue terrier, not for the faint hearted but I`ve had this mix for many years, it works for us . Five years old is not old , so your Lab will adapt to a new family member, Hunter might be a little put out at first but he`ll get over it , good luck :)

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I have a lab and a spaniel. So far so good :) I'd have been happy with another lab too though.

I agree with Kate, Hunter should get used to another dog at 5 yrs old and definitely research your planned choice.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Sounds like a perfect time to be getting a second dog! I'm sure Hunter will come round to it; he may feel his nose is a little out of joint to begin with but he'll soon get over it. He'll be old enough to be a good mentor to the second dog; and yet young enough to still be a good friend to a young one.

5. David

David Registered Users

Looking forward to all your news when you get the new dog! ;D

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

In a word -

Yes!!

[​IMG]

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

OF COURSE YOU DO!!!
    ;D ;D ;D

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's not normal for rescue centres to turn down potential adopters if they work part time, I worked part time when we got Charlie, so this sounds unfair to me, could you maybe try a different
    one? :( Hattie was 4 years old when we got Charlie, her nose was put out of joint for a while but now they are great friends and she keeps the young man in line :) Good luck!! xx

9. npcarpenter

npcarpenter Registered Users

When I got Daisy (10 months old on the 15th! :eek:), I already had a 3.5 yr male Golden mix (Henry) and a 14 yr Lab female. The older female wasn't terribly happy about an 8 week old puppy underfoot, but she just stayed away and the puppy learned quickly who was not always happy to see her. Henry, on the other hand, was fascinated with the puppy and seemed to know exactly how rough/gentle to be at all times. It wasn't till Daisy got bigger than Henry that he started to look a bit hunted at times. Still, they are truly best buds now and reconfirm my thought that two dogs are better than one, for all concerned!

[​IMG]This is why I'll never have just one dog... by carpenternp, on Flickr (why do those weird character appear in my caption?)

[​IMG]20150111_124420 by carpenternp, on Flickr

YouTube video of Daisy and Henry today.
    http://youtu.be/JGfsO02NM6s

Get the second dog! What are two hands for anyway?? ;)