Do you clip your dog's claws?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rosie, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Re: Do you clip your dog's claws?

I've cut Molly's claws because they needed doing and she hates the vets. I'd never done it before as previous dogs never needed it. I was very nervous as she has black nails but just took off a sliver and will repeat in a week or so. It needed a biscuit for each claw!

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We do enough pavement walking that Rileys claws don't need trimming. I do the dew claws when I notice they need doing and only take off a little at a time so the quick recedes and I don't cut it (ouch!) sometimes if I've let them go I'll do a little and then a few days later a little more.

3. Meg13

Meg13 Registered Users

I've done Haley's twice since we got her, it's fairly easy for us but it is a two person job haha she happily rolls on her back in her bed and my OH keeps her occupied while I clip them. Of course lots of treats follow haha
    Now that she is bigger we go for longer walks mainly on pavement so that seems to be keeping them down.

4. npcarpenter

npcarpenter Registered Users

Regarding wild "dogs" and their nails, it may also be that, since they are seldom moving on hard surfaces, the claws are able to dig in the softer ground at each step, eliminating the effect of twisting or raising the toes that would be caused if the same animal had to walk or run on a hard surface with those same longer claws. It would be interesting to compare claw lengths in timberwolves living in forested areas with those of desert wolves like the Mexican wolves who live in much more hard-scrabble areas to see if the desert wolves' claws were more worn down.

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hmm, interesting theory! It does make sense...

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Maybe wild wolves get more than 2 x 45 mins walks a day and wear their nails down on natural surfaces anyway?