Do you think I could foster a dog just in school holidays?

Discussion in 'Labradors in Service' started by Jane Martin, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Just wondering as I am at home for 5 weeks after next week, with school hols.. I suppose it's not something you want to rush into. Does anyone know ?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Why not have a word with your nearest Blue Cross centre Jane ? Most of the time, fostering is for an indeterminate period of time whilst the right family come along or maybe the owner is poorly, but its well worth asking about. I would strongly advise you to approach a well respected shelter where even for fostering , the dogs are assessed thoroughly, but good luck .

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If you live near a Guide Dogs training centre you could do boarding. You look after them evenings and weekends while they are at school, which lasts 4 to 6 months :)

Gypsy is with a couple who love dogs and love walking but they both work - so she gets lots of lovely free runs :)

4. Jane Martin

Oh! That's a consideration but I expect I don't have one close. I thought maybe I could be an emergency fosterer for weekends and school holidays but I am going to do a bit more research.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lovely idea Jane X

6. Jane Martin

The nearest guide dog centre is too far away. I phoned to ask about doing respite boarding for dogs who needed a break from, or for what ever reason couldn't continue training. But it's not to be! Still I did register for a guide dog fund raising walk next weekend AND I GET A FREE CAPE!!!!!!!!!!! Well Chepi does. So maybe I am meant to do something else? Back to researching short term fostering. I actually don't know why I am so interested but I am drawn to it .

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I would think there's a place for holiday cover for existing fosterers but I wouldn't have the first clue how to go about it. I'd probably contact Black Retriever Cross as their home base isn't far from me and from what I've read they do a thorough job of matching dogs to homes.

Good luck!

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

And please post a photo of chepi in your/her cape :D

9. Jane Martin

Yes, I have contacted them (Black x) and also a Labrador rescue. I am thinking about helping with home visits or some other way while I think about fostering.