Does anyone else have a Lab that really doesn't like being brushed?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Ski-Patroller, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Subject says it all. Cooper does not like being brushed, with any tool, Zoom and Groom, Wire Brush, Furminator, or even the glove with rubber knobs. She will sometimes tolerate it for a while, but then will get up a leave. Then she is very wary about coming back in the room. She also recognizes all the grooming tools.

Anyone else have a Lab that dislikes being groomed? Do you have any tricks or suggestions? I've never been able to trim her nails, but we keep them worn down, by retrieving tennis balls on pavement.

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

If I have to do anything to Toby that he isn’t going to like I smear a Licki mat with peanut butter, stick it to the freezer door(make sure you have one with suction pads on the bottom) and off we go. He will sometimes still squirm around but on the whole the temptation to stay licking wins out!
    Up until recently he had his nails done at vet appointments during his cancer treatment but I am going to have to brave it and give this another go.

Jen & Tiber likes this.
  3. CeeCee

CeeCee Registered Users

My girl tolerates grooming well, so no first hand experience with this problem. However, treats and Labradors................? Try giving a treat when you start, treat again when Cooper stands still for you and then treat when you've finished. She'll get the message that brushes and grooming = lots of treats. Good luck and I hope this helps.

4. Ski-Patroller

Treats do help, but it is still a battle. Oddly enough her favorite treats are Dot's Pretzels. She likes them better than any of the dog treats we buy.

5. J.D

J.D Registered Users

That’s funny pretzels were about the only thing you could drop on the floor and my previous lab wouldn’t touch. Must have been something in the smell. That and lettuce leaves!

6. Ski-Patroller

Dot's Pretzels are seasoned, so more interesting than most for both dogs and people.

J.D likes this.