Does anyone know if there is a diet food designed for senior Labs?

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by Angela Bass, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Angela Bass

Angela Bass Registered Users

I have two Labs (Chocolate) who can only keep weight off if they are fed diet food. However at 7 and 10 they are classed at seniors. Most diet food is designed for younger dogs. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Beanwood likes this.
  2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi Angela and welcome! You will probably find lots of differing opinions when it comes to nutrition. I have to admit to not being a particular fan of canine senior ranges. The reason is this, they are lower in protein, lower in fat (sometimes OK..) but tend to be higher in other things that actually still contain calories.

Older dogs need a good quality dog food, with high quality, palatable protein. Personally, I fed a higher protein diet to my senior labrador, because as they age they lose muscle mass, just like humans. Fat is still important as a building block, just make sure it's good quality fat. I also supplement with good quality salmon oil.

In terms of amounts, I weigh his food, if he is looking a bit more "rounded" I replace some of his rations with cooked veggies, such broccoli, peas and carrots. It is very difficult though when he looks at me with his big, sad eyes at the table! I have to steel my heart or give him a frozen kong with a bit of tuna and kibble from his daily rations.

It is probably a good idea to have a chat with your vet at your next visit if you want to make changes to your dog's diet, just to make sure everything is good to go! :)

This is Casper, nine and a half years old :)

Attached Files:

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I don't know of a food specifically for senior Labs. Unlike @Beanwood I have no real oroblem with a food specifically formulated for an older dog - my problem us with foods marketed as being suitable from weaning through to old age where the nutritional requirements aren't the same.
    I would check with the vet that there aren't any underlying health problems but after that it is about managing the calorie intake which doesn't mean it has to be a food for seniors, just a food which they enjoy and will eat that you can control calories on easily.

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I feed my 11 year old black Lab Symply Adult Light - it’s lamb and rice and for senior dogs. She loves it and she’s 25kg - perfect weight for her size.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome Angela from me, Hattie 10 years and my rescue boy Charlie 7 years. My dogs are considered seniors not according to them though :D They are fit, healthy and very active so they are on the same food they have always been on with the addition of wild salmon oil. I keep a watchful eye on their weight and feed accordingly but they are very steady on the amount they are fed.

Hattie is 25 kg - perfect weight for her size according to our vet
    Charlie is 31 kg he is a much bigger also taller boy being Lab x Pointer but also perfect weight for his size.

I would get them checked by your vet but also how much exercise are they getting? Helen :) x

6. Avalon

Avalon Registered Users

Hi Angela my yellow lab is 12 years now and since she was 7 I have been feeding her on Canagan light/senior dry dog food and the occasional can of the same which is grain free with organic vegetables and various vitamins and minerals mostly in natural form such as green lipped mussels which contain Glucosomine It is a bit expensive but I wouldn't use anything else. She weighs 29lbs and is still very sprightly.