Does this look normal post neuter?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Kaitlin Bode, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Kaitlin Bode

Kaitlin Bode Registered Users

My pup will be turning 1 years old August 17th and he got neutered today and the vet said the surgery went fine and he was recovering well. I picked him up and we verbally talked about what to expect, limited exercise, how much to feed him, etc. I completely blanked and forgot to check his incision site so I really had no idea what to look for or what state he was in leaving the vet. The only thing they said to be careful with was watching for his balls filling back up with blood.

Well I get him home and he's acting okay. A lot of whimpering but he's always been a big crier. Mostly just sleeping. He's drinking a bit and ate all of his dinner and has peed once which is all pretty typical, though he usually does drink a lot more water. He's still pretty out of it from the anesthesia.

He rolled over a few minutes ago asking for belly rubs though and I saw his stomach and I'm kinda worried. Here is a picture: https://i.postimg.cc/Yq3fqDGJ/IMG-4574.jpg

I'm not sure the red is normal, or the black on his balls. I don't know if he's had the rash the whole time or if he just got it. The only thing I've given him is his dose of Rimadyl. He's not trying to scratch or lick at the incision site.

Is this normal or not?

2. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

I'd go back to the vet and ask them to have a look - it's probably fine but mine didn't look like that.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Definitely pop back to the vet...should not look that sore .

4. Christoph W

Christoph W Registered Users

Most likely either a reaction to a not sharp enough razor or some allergic reaction to something the put on him pre or after the operation (gel/cream etc). I'd ask the vet about it though.

5. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Mine had the black pouch to start with that shrinks but not the rash.
    I would take him back. Looks like a reaction to how they shaved him.