Dog Backpacks

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Somatic, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

I doubt there would be any tests or studies done on something like dog backpacks. I mean, there isn't even any decent studies in relation to raw feeding and everyone seems to have their own opinion on that. Raw feeding is a much larger issue than just a little back pack, so I think doggy back pack studies would be something very low on the priorities list for someone who does studies.

The reason why I like this pack is two fold. I work in a field where I see a lot of other dogs and handlers, and this harness (sans backpacks) has been a popular choice for professional handlers I have worked with. I has good connection points, a grab handle, and when it is fitted to the dog looks like it doesn't inhibit the dogs' movement at all. It is a free fitting harness that I have seen on some serious working dogs.

Now as for the matter of the backpacks. I understand that labradors aren't pack animals like donkeys and horses and such. I am not intending to load my dog up with a whole weekends worth of camping gear, and I wouldn't even load half the amount another poster mentioned onto his back (9 kg). I understand that there are some serious dangers when doing this and will assess it with an open mind. These packs aren't big, so you can't load a lot in them. Maybe a water bottle, a collapsable bowel and a first aid kit. I think it is a nice way of getting my dog to help me and work for me and I feel that it would improve on our bond. It has nothing to do with Ceasar Milan (whom I have very little time for btw).

But I also think that dogs, as with children, in todays society get wrapped in cotton wool. Labradors up until about a century ago were made to work in freezing cold waters dragging fishing nets day in and day out. They are hardy enough to do some of the best gundog retrieving in real life settings in miserable conditions. Rottweilers up until a century ago WERE pack animals. They dragged carts to market.

With that said, I have no intention of loading my dog up. I merely like the harness as a harness in itself and for the fact that it can also support some pretty nifty add-ons like the back packs and an adventure light.

Just my 0.02c

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Crikey, 25% of their body weight!!!

The rule with horses these days is:
    10% is very easy for the horse
    15% is fine
    Definitely no more than 20%
    At 25% the horse will be labouring and have considerable muscle soreness afterwards.

There's been research on the above.

And those figures cover everything that is put on the horse - bridle, saddle cloth, saddle, girth, stirrups and finally the rider - all totalled to get a final figure.

And that's for an adult horse whose back muscles have been conditioned and strengthen through training to carry a weight.

I wouldn't go above 10% with a dog... But then I wouldn't actually get my dog to carry a weight.

3. Oberon

Also, those figures for a horse assume a rider who is well balanced on a properly fitting saddle that distributes weight evenly, fitted by a professional saddle fitter.

4. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

So @Oberon has experience in this with our closest (and I would use the term "closest" very loosely here) comparison group. No way would I go anywhere near 25% on my dog, nor would I allow or expect him to carry anything significant. Just a bit of fun, carrying his own meals when we go hiking/camping.

5. Oberon

Dogs have historically pulled carts. And dogs pull sleds today. But having an animal pulling a load is a different kettle of fish to having an animal carry a load on its back. Back muscles and spines just weren't designed for it. Horses weren't designed for it either and, as anyone who is involved with horses knows, back problems and saddle fitting issues daily stress the minds of many a horse owner.

The more I think about it the more I think it is not a good idea for a dog. If I was ever contemplating it (and I have) I've definitely talked myself out of it. I really think that it is inviting an injury.

6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I have heard the 20% figure for years, and have not heard of a dog being injured by it. With our dogs it has typically been 10 to 15%, and they all did quite well. I'm sure there must be some injuries some time, but there are just hiking. It is quite common in the US for dogs to carry packs. In the pioneer days in Alaska, dogs were often used for packing because they could go faster than burros and did not eat as much. What they did eat could often be caught or shot in the wild.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well....Labradors are a breed prone to joint problems. Many a pet owner (and indeed working Labrador owner) just accepts as a matter of fact that the breed tends to arthritic joints as they get older. So it may not be a case of direct injury, but a case that (mad frisbee throwing, repetitive ball chasing etc) weight carrying just isn't that good for them - and they can't complain, tell us when it starts hurting, and are programmed to disguise pain.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

But we know nothing about the state of their health while doing that, nothing about their life expectancy, or how many were simply shot or disposed of when they were injured or arthritic. I don't think views on pet healthcare are the same in 2016....

Stacia likes this.
  9. Oberon

Agree. A long tradition doesn't make something a good idea.

10. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Blimey - if I put Baileys food in packs on his back we would get nowhere. He would sit there trying to get to them, sure he would happily carry them in his tummy :D

SwampDonkey and Oberon like this.
  11. stansmith

stansmith Registered Users

Great info. Thanks

12. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Yep, I think this thread is another good example of the US/UK divide in dog culture. My dogs had packs and that was way before CM, so it didn't come from him. If you get a good one (not the cheapie ones they see at Petsmart) and fit it well, it doesn't lean and slide. You also need to make sure to pack wisely to weight it correctly.

Now, I do think it's a good question to ask if this can harm a dog's back or joints. I honestly don't know and never considered it at the time. What I found the pack most useful for was carrying extra water for long trail hikes (I carried two bottles, Brogan carried two bottles) and frankly, just to make my dogs look goofy and non-scary when we were out in public. It's amazing how much people love a big dog in a backpack. More often than not on "public event days", I had zip in there beyond poo bags and an extra leash. ;)

Here's Brogan demonstrating a pack that does NOT fit correctly - this was Duncan's (twice Brogan's size) and after this debacle, I bought him his own...that fit.

Screenshot 2017-09-28 22.03.26.png