Dog behaviour - can’t take anymore feelings of shame!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Claire Hawkins, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Claire Hawkins

Claire Hawkins Registered Users

My 4 year old lab is my world but I sometimes face behaviour from him that really effects my mental health through shaming from others, I know they are quite within their rights to call out my dogs behaviour but I take so long to get over it, his recall is good but lately if he sees a lone walker or a couple walking without a dog he starts to run towards them barking and his usual recall doesn’t work at all and if I run towards him to get him back on lead it just reinforces to him that he needs to bark more and move closer to them in a aggressive manner. This morning a chap was just sat minding his own business way up on a hill and my dog spotted him and barked and ran off towards him, the guy shouted to me to recall my dog but unfortunately it didn’t work, I tried to reassure the guy he was friendly but obviously he wasn’t having any of it and quite rightly. Any ideas how to move forward from this?

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Have you tried Pippa's "Total Recall" book? If not, I would highly recommend it x

Edp likes this.
  3. amelbeach

amelbeach Registered Users

ok but real question when you step on a dogs foot and they scream and you instantly apologize and give them loves do they know it was an accident?

Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

4. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Almost certainly! :)

5. Turbtastic

Turbtastic Registered Users

Back to basics? Bring back the longline until he stops ignoring your recall?

My dog is young, appears to have good recall but before we let loose I am reading through Total Recall to see if what we have trained so far is correct, apply Pippas method before progressing any further as I lack the confidence just now having our last dog didn't venture far so total new situation for us.

You found this site, you posted fir advice so you have nothing fo feel ashamed about as you are looking for answers and recognise the wrong behavouir many would not ❤