Dog castration - whether or not to neuter my male dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by simonD, Apr 3, 2017.

1. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

Sparky turns 10 months today. Per sources online, its the peak of Testosterone levels. This is an interesting comment. I have noticed recently that he had "frothing" around his mouth when we walk. I'm like no way he's turning rabid. However he can sit and watch another dog go by and not pull until they are well past us. No crazy pulling and dragging me on my butt yet. There is an increase in sniffing the air and every pee spot in the area.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow froths at the mouth on walks. It's nothing to do with being an entire male - it's just drooling combined with lots of sniffing :)

Saba's Boss likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Labrador foam gets everywhere

4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

We have to stop at least three times a walk so I can wipe Stanleys mouth and nose because of the foam.

You can practically hear him like "maaaam, stop showing me up!". But I don't want people to think he has rabies :D

5. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Yes, occasional frothing and frequent drool from Monty too - not related to the amount of exercise he's done, could be ten minutes in or 50 minutes into a walk. The worst is if when shakes his head and the line of drool wraps around his snout. :)

Bruer and Saba's Boss like this.
  6. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Yep, dogs froth at the mouth for other reasons. Lucky often has froth all over his face after running around.

But this is different, it is using the vomeronasal organ. When he actually meets a bitch in season, after smelling her, he starts to do it. And I've never seen him do this with a male dog or a bitch not around her season, so I assume that when he does this with pee it is bitches in season.

For example, right now when lots are in season he does it every couple of metres, and other times of year, somedays I never notice it.

Maybe other dogs don't do this, or don't only do it with in season bitches?

7. SwampDonkey

They lick the urine and their lips and their mouth judders. There's a few interesting ladies around here at the moment too

4theloveoflabs and Saba's Boss like this.
  8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam is castrated , and froths, lots and lots of froth, usually when his senses are in overdrive , such as scenting a deer or just a new exciting walk , it ends up everywhere and, for the uninitiated, must look quite revolting x

drjs@5 likes this.
  9. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Oh yes! Not a good look for a handsome Labrador :facepalm:

leejane and PawPrints like this.
  10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Scooby often sported a spitty noseband
    small noseband.jpg

Bruer, xxryu139xx, lucky_dog and 3 others like this.
  11. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper slimes herself sometimes also.

12. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I just love this comment. Stanley (and you) have such personalities! :p

JenBainbridge likes this.
  13. SwampDonkey

My friend has great Danes a bull mastitis now they really drool and foam. She regularly has to mop the ceiling and Bud foamed Douglas. Doug looked like he'd been to a foam party. He was not a black lab anymore:D

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Nope, it's not restricted to bitches in season. It can be any smell, and smells from bitches that are not in season or anywhere near being in season.

My entire male will do this on urine from a bitch that is no where near her season, and on urine from bitches that are spayed. And goodness knows what else.

It's about smells, not bitches in season. Although bitches in season smell super interesting of course and will generate this. But the licking, mouth juddering, foaming things - that's just smells. Pretty much any old smell, really. :D:D:D

BevE likes this.
  15. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Not so easily done, I find. Oban will alert if another intact male has walked down a trail ahead of us. So I can be prepared to meet him, make sure we are passing in opposite directions and the dogs have room to evade, avoid each other. Usually the intact males just posture, there might be some growling but I do find they really don't want a fight. Except for two, at the same time, who were very persistent. But even though they full out went at Oban, no injuries were done to any of the three dogs.

Neutered males who don't like intact males are much harder. Oban doesn't alert, in fact he mostly doesn't seem to think they exist. Their owners often (usually) have no idea their dog doesn't like intact males. While there are more and more people leaving their males intact here it's still not many and I think the other dog may not have met one before us. Oban and I are unprepared and so is the other owner. Once we even walked a fair bit with an owner who told me one of his Labs (same breeder as Oban of all things) didn't like intact males but that other dog didn't make a move till well into our walk. It's a lot harder to predict.

xxryu139xx likes this.