Dog Chewing bedding

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Atemas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Unfortunately my theory about the kongs having been on her bedding is wrong! She chewed another towel last night! I also woke up and heard her moving around in her crate so I guessed that’s what she was doing! I couldn’t get back to sleep so feeling a bit crabby today :mad:.

2. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

I've had to remove vet bed entirely as Inky went from dragging it from his crate for a quick hump to eating large bits of it. One night I heard him whining in the night, in the morning he had done 2 poos in the crate - first time ever and mixed in was vet bed! Luckily I had some carpet that was meant to go to the dump so I cut a bit to fit his crate. He has chewed a tiny bit at the side but nothing like vet bed. Don't know if you follow AD but I'm hoping that tunnel is closing in his head!

3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Sorry, what is AD?

4. Inky lab

AD is absolute dogs. If I've got it right, they explain it as dogs having tunnels in their brains for behaviours. The aim is to get the tunnels you want bigger and those you don't, in this case chewing vet bed smaller. I think it's much like Pippa explained it in her puppy book but it made sense to me.

5. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Oh yes sorry @Inky lab. I haven’t watched that lesson yet - to be honest, I am really behind with loads of it. Definitely want to get the chewing bed tunnel behaviour smaller - the rate we are going she is going to be sleeping on the crate tray :rolleyes:.

6. Inky lab

Exactly how I felt but the crate tray is so noisy! Lucky I didn't take the carpet to the dump.

7. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Just a quick update. The vet bedding is great. I cut a piece to fit her crate and also a piece to go in her day bed. She has nibbled the edges of the crate piece a bit. I put a dog blanket scrunched up into the corner of the crate so she has a bit of a pillow - she has chewed a lot of that but I don’t think she eats it as I find the bits. She doesn’t do this every night.

What I also like apart from it looking really good in her crate is the fact I can easily run the cordless vacuum over it to keep hairs at bay (I’m probably a bit obsessive but her hairs are the bane of my life :rolleyes: - she’s worth it though).

Anyway just wanted to say thank you to all who said vet bedding was the way to go :).

selina27 likes this.
  8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That’s great.

I usually have a lot around the place to use as mats, but Keir takes every mat, Vet bed and piece of loose material he finds into his bed - so we are very bare floored just now!

I have a piece in the porch too as it’s great for mud and so easy to wash and dry.

:)

Atemas likes this.
  9. Vik75

Vik75 Registered Users

Hi, just wondered if anyone has come across any new bedding for chewers recently? Geoff eats vetbed, blankets, doormats, carpet. He has lots of toys which we rotate and he doesn’t spend more than a couple hours in crate at a time. We tried the chew proof bedding from pets at home- lasted 48 hours before he got through the seam and started eating the innards!

10. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

It’s tough dealing with a determined chewer! I have had a pup that destroyed and swallowed any bedding even vetbed and we lined the floor of their crate with tightly fitting plywood- more comfortable than plastic but not what you had in mind when you planned your puppy ‘s sleeping quarters!