Dog crate size

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Auldreekie, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Auldreekie

Auldreekie Registered Users

Wondering what would be the ideal dog crate size for our new 8 week old puppy ?

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

When we got Lincoln at 9 weeks we started with the 24 inch length which he quickly outgrew. Now he is 8 months @ 40 pounds & 22 inches tall and we got the 36inch long crate and it's just right.

3. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

For puppies you get two choices - start with a small crate and buy larger replacements as they grow, or find a crate which can be divided into smaller areas while your puppy is little. This post on our main site might help you decide which is right for you :)

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Sarah has it, there.

Personally, because I like to have little puppies by my bed for a week or more, I prefer to have a small 'baby puppy' sized crate there. At this time I also have a larger more medium-sized crate which fits under the kitchen table - since the pup will spend a lot of time in the kitchen with me until toilet trained and integrated with the other dogs.

Then, once they are too big for the crate under the table, they graduate to the rest of the house and get a giant-sized crate in the office - where the dogs are when I'm out. They will remain in that one until through adolescence and all annoying behaviours have passed!

Really - at some point, you will need a giant-sized crate during adolescence and smaller crates are pretty reasonably priced, so it works out to get various sizes and that way be more flexible with their positioning when using the smaller ones with a younger puppy - the giant one will only fit in a few places around your house.

5. Auldreekie

Thanks for the advice. Apologies for the late reply. I have not logged on since posting

6. Auldreekie

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply and apologies for the late reply. First time I have logged on since posting.