Dog depression tips

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by HannahB, Oct 21, 2018.

1. HannahB

HannahB Registered Users

Hi, I have a 2 year old yellow lab and up until recently she was a complete ball of happiness. Then out on a walk something must have twinged in her leg and all of a sudden she ran from where she was, tail between her legs, looking over her shoulder constantly, towards me and cowered behind my legs, as if someone has hit her or shot her or something. Since then it has happened a couple of times. Took her to the vets and he said it was a sprained muscle and to rest it, so she does, but then as soon as she gets a bit better she pushes it too far and hurts it again.

Since that initial injury she hasn't been herself, she has been on and off her food, sleeping all the time, she barely even acknowledges me when I walk in a room. It's breaking my heart to see her so down in the dumps and know there's little I can do. Is there anything I can do to help her or has anyone else's dog been through similar to let me know when she might start feeling better? It has been about 3 weeks and she just seems to be getting worse.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi and welcome. It sounds like a bit more than a sprain I'm afraid. As the initial injury was the source of her behaviour changes I suspect she may be in pain.

Ask your vet for a referral or insist on more accurate imaging such as a CT scan.

In the meantime, keep her rested even though she may improve slightly.