Dog dish

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Johnny Walker, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

How often do you all clean your pets fiod dish and water dish. People with cascading fresh water fountains need not reply. Just kidding. I’d love one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Food bowls washed after every meal , water changed and bowls washed every day , cos she`s worth it !

Karen likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I clean the food bowls out with very hot slightly soapy water everytime I use them even for snacks and the water bowl get clean with cold water every time I use it and a hot scrub once a day and the khongs get cleaned and scrubbed every day inside and out. I'm a bit of a scrubber obviously but not a pretentious t**t. ;)

Snowy, Jojo83, FayRose and 2 others like this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I wash them after every meal and give them fresh water twice a day.

:)

5. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

After every meal.
    Water bowl is washed out with soap at some time in the morning and some time in the evening every day. I refill them as I see them getting low (we keep two water bowls out, and one outside) and if they are dirty or have floaties I dump them and pour new water in, but only wash the bowl properly morning and evening.

6. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I wash the bowls every 3-4 days (food bowl more often if it looks gross). I rinse water bowl twice a day before refilling...I soak/wash kongs after every use.

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Wash dog dish after every meal. Water dish is rinsed daily but he doesn't seem to drink any water! I do add water to his kibble.

8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

:cwl::cwl:

9. selina27

Oh my goodness, I'm such a bad dog owner -- I've never cleaned her food bowl :eek: . Mind you she leaves it spotless herself :)

She gets clean fresh water twice daily though .

drjs@5 likes this.
  10. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I clean his bowl once a day after he’s had his tea :)

Then I just rinse out his water bowl, I don’t think I’ve ever really washed it o_O

11. SwampDonkey

My oh always says i don't know why you bother they drink out of muddy puddles and eat poop.

FayRose, MF, QuinnM15 and 1 other person like this.
  12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Obviously, the food bowl is pre-wash standard after every meal. With you on that @selina27

Err.....can I admit I don't wash them daily let alone after every meal but they get in the dishwasher once a week.
    Rinsed out in hot water is best they get in between.

But then, I am an anti-"Dettox everything in site" kind of person for people as well (and have a distinct hatred of anti-bac washing up liquid for the horrendous things it can do to our skin). And reinforced by my optician to never wash my spectacles with washing-up liquid because of the abrasive microbead thingys it contains.
    :D

13. selina27

And I'm with you there .

MF, drjs@5 and leejane like this.
  14. SwampDonkey

With you there I like a nice bit of filth

15. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Oh thank goodness someone else said they don't clean it that often.... Some days I barely even use the bowl, they go through the dishwasher on a 70 degree wash every so often, and I might swill out in hot water, but certainly not every day. We use a slow water bowl and that needs to be washed our more often as grime collects under the rims.

Monty has a stomach of steel pretty much so I see no need to raise the hygiene levels. ;)

I think the drinking out of puddles (on roads, pavements) is probably much worse than any bacteria in bowls, due to all the chemicals and nasty residues coming out of vehicles, you can often see an oily film on standing water in roads, that's just my opinion, not based on any science.

drjs@5 and selina27 like this.
  16. selina27

Yep, I think the same. Luckily for Cassie she rarely comes across such a puddle, having plenty of freshwater to drink on our daily walks.
    When I was a kid I asked my family why it was alright for our spaniel to drink from dirty puddles and he didn't get ill -- I was told dogs have a special filter inside that means they don't swallow the dirt!!! I often think about that!

Snowy, Sven, SwampDonkey and 2 others like this.
  17. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I'm glad I'm not the only one that rarely washes the dog bowls. I was too ashamed to be the first to admit it! LOL!
    The food bowls are licked clean of any residue by the dogs but I will occasionally put them through the dishwasher, the water bowl gets a swill out every time it's filled and goes in the dishwasher when I do the others.

18. selina27

So far I'm the only one who's said I never have ! It's Cassie's birthday on Thursday perhaps I'll do it then :) She doesn't seem to have come to any harm, nor does she mind eating out of the bowl. Come to think of it though, I do clean the cat's dish.

mandyb and drjs@5 like this.
  19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I wash my dog bowls every day and fresh water is given twice a day and more often during the hot summer months :) xx

20. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I rarely wash the water bowls, but do give them a rinse/swill every time I fill them up. Kong Wobbler gets washed periodically (very periodically). Xena's food dish gets washed after every meal, the cats' kibble bowls very rarely, the cats' wet food plates after every meal.