Dog dish

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Johnny Walker, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Wow!! I'm simply amazed at how many people don't wash their dog's bowl on at least a daily basis. Jen's food bowl is washed in hot soapy water after every use whether the meal was kibble or a mix of kibble and wet meat. Her water nowl is washed as well at least once a day in hot soapy water and is rinsed and filled numerous times a day with fresh water - with meals for certain but also whenever she has had a drink I rinse the bowl and replenish with fresh water.
    Jen doesn't have a kong but when I use one with a client I always stick it straight in the dishwasher for a clean.

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

So @Johnny Walker , lets hear it then, how often do you wash Duggans food and waterbowl ?:)

3. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

I wash his water bowl twice a day before I fill it. He will only drink fresh cold water. His current food bowl gets washed after after each meal. He’s on three meals a day again because of his medication. His regular food dish is wahshed about every three days but it’s a nightmare because It’s one of those maze dishes to slow him down. But I will say some of the meals in those three days are scattereed, some are Kong Wobbler meals and some are hand fed. It has been Interesting to see what everyone else does.

SwampDonkey, Granca and selina27 like this.
  4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I just can't get over people not washing dog bowls.....saying 'they lick them clean'. Really? Really? If you had a guest for dinner who picked up his/her plate and licked it so there was no visible trace of food left on it, would you just put it back in the cupboard without bothering with the dishwasher? :D

Not that you'd invite that person again. :D

5. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

What's the issue with anti bac liquid, and what's the best alternative just out of interest?

6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

This thread has just reaffirmed by need for a dishwasher.

I feel so basic :rolleyes:

QuinnM15 likes this.
  7. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Don't. Sometimes my dishwasher cheats me by pretending it's washed everything but there are bits all over glasses and mugs because something has blocked the twirly arms and it hasn't washed properly. It's soooo disappointing when that happens. Also emptying it is a bit of a pain, plastics don't dry well and whatever the adverts say, baked on stains do NOT come out without soaking. Or even with soaking.

drjs@5 and QuinnM15 like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Don't have one don't want one just not economical for 2 people who are so uncivilised that we don't even use cutlery, besides Rory likes drinking the dishwater:)

FayRose and leejane like this.
  9. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Like @leejane said...you know what's worse than hand washing...having to RE wash things from the dishwasher that are so baked on it takes hours of soaking to unstick whatever weird food bit got into the glasses or on the cutlery then scrubbing. Also, the thing stinks. Like it makes me puke. For two people, I only run it twice a week so the stench that builds up...It's so gross that one of the main things I trained Quinn when she was tiny was not to lick or go near it. She sits every time I open it and waits for a treat :).

Since we moved, we have an old school one that you have to hook up to the sink...super inconvenient!

leejane likes this.
  10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I DID wash Coco's food bowl today, after this thread. Maybe his water bowls tomorrow....I noticed muck in the one in the hall....but I can't do without the dishwasher (for 2 or us) - it runs every other day, usually. I doesn't smell and always cleans the dishes/cutlery. Coco had a huge slurp from a muddy puddle in the field this morning.

11. Emily

Emily Registered Users

@JulieT do you wash their toys too? (this is a genuine question - I'm not being a smart ar** :)). It's just something that I haven't considered until now.

I'm thinking that I'd need to get a few bowls for Ella to ensure that there is always a clean one available. And another dishwasher ;)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, of course....their toys stink otherwise! :D Soft house toys go in the washing machine along with the dog towels (which are used once before being washed). Gundog dummies in the top tray of the dishwasher.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I can't understand all these people who say dishwashers run every two days etc.....there are only 4 of us in this house (2 humans, 2 dogs) but the dishwasher runs twice if not three times a day.

It works even better if it's not full! :D But anyway, just fill it up with dog toys and dummies....[don't put fur or feather in the dishwasher though - that doesn't work :D ]

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I find the anti-bacterial washing up liquids make my hands red dry and itchy. I just buy the normal ones - like Fairy original - most brands do anti-bac ones and normal ones if you look.
    Not a fan of rubber gloves, so that isn't a happy choice for me. Only wear them when I am using things like Oven Pride or Mr Muscle kind of products (once a year, then :D )
    I am a clart.

15. SwampDonkey

I have to use all the anti bacteria stuff at work and it damages my skin so I don't use it at home. My skin needs a rest

16. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

For my cats at least, their kibble bowls stay on the floor between meals. I'm assuming people who don't clean their dog's bowl do the same. Or maybe store them in the laundry or something.

It takes me 2 days to fill the dishwasher, so that's when I run it. I don't put pots/pans/bakeware etc because they take up so much room. My dishwasher is 10+ years old, not eco-friendly at all and uses a lot of power so I'm careful about how I run it. I always let Xena pre-wash bakeware so that I no longer have to soak it before washing it - it's such a time saver!

17. Emily

Emily Registered Users

OK... Looks like I've got a bit of cleaning to do tonight! :eek:

18. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I’m not positive, but my memories of dishwashers in the uk are that they are smaller than North American ones...not sure that’s true or if I’m thinking of clothes washing machine!

19. SwampDonkey

Everything's smaller in the uk:D

QuinnM15, Snowy, drjs@5 and 2 others like this.
  20. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

We wash the food bowl each evening, which is, in my opinion, overkill. If I throw treats on the ground outside, I don't bother scrubbing it clean first.

Wow! Have never seen one outside of Finland, where every toilet has one of these mini showers next to it. We call it "pillusuihku", a name which suggests that they're intended for ladies only. Certainly for me, it's a pointless accessory and I don't think my wife uses the things either.

Plum's mum likes this.