Dog dish

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Johnny Walker, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

Does the dishwasher rinse cycle manage to rinse the detergent out of the dummies? I would be concerned about residual detergent getting in to a dog's mouth.

2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I've always wondered about this too but I suppose that we use the cutlery from the dishwasher so it's probably the same as a dog using their toy.

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have never, ever, washed a dummy!!!!! Being dirty is a sign that you use them, in my opinion. Like having muddy wellies or a muddy landrover.

drjs@5, Snowy, Plum's mum and 2 others like this.
  4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

:)

5. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

I was thinking that the cutlery is thin, hard and non-porous, and the rinsing action of a dishwasher is designed to wash away the detergent. A quick spray of clean water and it's probably done :)

But then a dummy is thick, soft and absorbent. I'm sure a dummy would need a soak and possibly agitation, to get the detergent out. I guess the sort of action that is engineered in to a washing machine :)

6. Mjd7568

Mjd7568 Registered Users

All the dogs I’ve ever had will happily eat the sh#t of any other animal as well as have a chew on a maggot ridden rabbit carcass so I can’t see the point in cleaning food and water bowls, especially not two or three times a day.

Xena Dog Princess and Plum's mum like this.
  7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I won’t say I’ve never washed Simba’s bowls, but I can count on one hand the number of times (and have fingers left over) I have done so in the 5 years we have had him. ;)

leejane, Plum's mum, drjs@5 and 5 others like this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, of course it does - easily. The inside of dummies are sawdust (or sand etc) in a plastic bag, and so all you are washing is a thin bit of canvas. And anyway, if dishwasher detergent is harmful, it really shouldn't be dishwasher detergent! :D

I always wash dummies - I have a dog who finds new dummies exciting, and removing some of the scent on old dummies can make them appear newer for longer (and so much more use to me). Plus, if I buy white dummies for blinds etc, I want them white, not grey! Ditto orange and blue etc. otherwise what is the point....

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Only if it has a hole in the plastic lining. In which case, if you chuck it in the river etc. it gets full of water and is useless (or sinks) - there is no way to dry it out once wet.