Dog food for mobility support

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by my2girls, Jul 20, 2016.

1. my2girls

my2girls Registered Users

I am trying to decide which dog food to use for my 11 year old chocolate lab to assist with her mobility/joints.
    The two I have been told to research are: Royal Canin Mobility Support and Hills J/D Joint Care.
    Both require a prescription and both are pricey. She has been on Joint Max Triple Strength and Dasuquin (not at the same time) for years, but I think she needs something more because I am not seeing any improvement with her mobility. (I have already had her hips/joints checked out).
    Soon......I am hoping somebody out there has tried one of these and can provide feedback.
    Thanks!

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi there @my2girls I used Hills J/D Joint Care (calorie reduced) for around 11 months at the suggestion of my vet in France following surgery for Elbow Dysplasia on my young girl. She 8 months old when she had the surgery and has just turned 2. You don't need a prescription for the Hill's to buy online, you just have to tick the box to say yes you are feeding on vets recommendations and having six monthly checks.

Although the Hill's is OK nutritionally I reduced Juno's portions by a third for the day and that was on the calorie reduced version. My orthopaedic surgeon advised on the calorie reduced version as the standard is quite high fat. I found over time Juno's coat condition wasn't so good and her skin was becoming a little dry so decided to switch her off. The main reason to feed Hill's J/D is the inclusion of the glucosamine and chondroitin into the food; however the amount in the food isn't very high and I was giving a supplement on top anyway. I have since changed her to Bob and Lush, which she loves, her coat is now nice and shiny and she just continues with her Yumove supplement and 10ml of salmon oil added to her dinner.

Taking her off the Hill's J/D certainly hasn't had any effect on her elbow so I'm not that convinced it made a difference anyway.

I haven't tried the Royal Canin but I'm not that impressed with the company and their response to some queries I had regarding one of their dog foods when researching for my canine behaviour course a couple of months ago.

If you decide to go for the Hill's J/D definitely buy online to get it cheaper than from the vet, but please discuss with your vet first for their views. My surgeons view was that every little helps but that good weight management and sensible exercise together with good quality supplements are also important.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and hope that it helps your girl.

3. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Have you talked to your vet about the typical Canine NASIDS. When our first lab got to about 14 she was on Deramaxx pretty consistently and it helped her a lot. We occasionally use Deramaxx for Tilly and it seems to work really well. One low dose often makes her a lot less stiff, if she has overdone it. My wife and I both used to take a Glucosamine Chondroitin supplement and decided that it really did not do anything for us. We also tried it on Ginger and Tilly and did not see any effect, though it might be harder to see in dogs, unless the effect was dramatic.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

My Vet and my breeder (a public health nurse) both believe there isn't enough of most supplements like glucosamine in dog food to accomplish much. They would both add them in themselves. My Vet recommended for my 56 pound girl 1500 mg glucosamine a day.

5. my2girls

my2girls Registered Users

Thanks for your comments. I will hold off on changing her food and talk to the vet about the Deramaxx.

6. ChicoSue

ChicoSue Registered Users

Hello,

I have been cruising the forums looking for someone whose dog has had surgery for elbow dysplasia. Our chocolate lab pup, Beau, who is 7 1/2 months old had surgery today for dysplasia in his right front elbow and OCD in left rear hock. We bring him home tomorrow and I'm so worried about the after care. How do you keep a puppy quiet and calm for weeks? The doctor is giving us a sedative but I'm not sure how long we can keep him sedated...
    How long ago did your pup have surgery? Was it arthroscopic? How is she doing? We are saddened to think Beau's life may be limited.... Kind of in a funk:(
    Susan

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, Susan - you might want to repost as a separate subject so more people see your message. It sounds like your pup has had both knee surgery and elbow surgery? You will find many people on the forum with experience of both of these and of coping with the long road to recovery.

ChicoSue likes this.
  8. Ruth Ellison

Ruth Ellison Registered Users

When it comes to dogs, it is must to see that we give our dogs the best food we can. We should include all the nutrients and supplements that are required for their health so that they stay away from mobility or joint problem. There are many dog food suppliers that offer you best dog food. Some of them are NYC dog food delivery, Brooklyn dog food delivery, NYC dog meals and more. You can even check out blogs like https://blog.hudsonschow.com/ that have detailed information about how to feed your dog.