Dog Pedal Reflex Starting

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by RickRuddle, Sep 29, 2020.

1. RickRuddle

RickRuddle Registered Users

We have a three year old black lab named Remington. About three weeks ago he started exhibiting a pedal reflex while standing. It seems to be getting more prolific. If he is standing and you scratch his back he'll start pedaling with his back foot. He doesn'thhave to be scratched to initiate it. He'll be just standing there and his hind leg will start. He is also chewing/licking at the base of his tail.

I've read about Syringomyelia but he doesn't have any of the other symptoms. And I haven't seen anything where it is prevalent in labs. I have to say I'm getting a little concerned.

Remington never really shook his leg when being scratched on the belly. Could this be a stress response to something?

Any suggestions or insight? Thanks in advance.

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Rick and Remington, welcome to the forum :)

Definitely ask a vet to take a look at Remington and make a proper, clinical assessment of him.

I haven't heard of a Lab with syringomyelia before (which isn't to to say it hasn't happened - I'm not quite that arrogant).

But they are somewhat prone to skin problems, which make them feel itchy and can trigger the pedal reflex.

However, only a veterinarian who can examine Remington in person is qualified to make a proper diagnosis.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on!