Dog possible nausea from food

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Anr714, Jan 31, 2024.

?

Should I look into switching food?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2024.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anr714

Anr714 Registered Users

At 18 months we put our dog on royal Canin Labrador retriever mix. On and off for the next year, she would have mixed poops, some regurgitation, and had to start having her anal glands expressed. Our vet switched her a little over a month ago to the Royal Canin hydrolyzed protein. Her poop has been perfect and she no longer has any regurgitation, but she seems to be showing signs of nausea, but I’m not 100% sure. About a week after she went 100% on the new food, I noticed that she would open her mouth and kinda look like she had dry mouth. Now every time she wakes up, she yawns and then licks her lips out, opening her mouth and licking around. I don’t know if this is a sign of nausea or just normal? The vet gave us some Omprezole last week because she had an extreme drooling situation one night and when we took her in the next day he said she could have acid reflux. Well, she had an extreme adverse reaction to that so I had to stop it after 2 days. I am wondering now if I should ask the vet for something for nausea or is it just a coincidence with the yawning and mouth again. Every now and then she’ll move around and do a little groan, but I she did that before so not uncommon. I am also wondering if she needs a different food or something added to it if she does have nausea.

2. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. It sounds like it might be worth just chatting to the vet about the symptoms you're observing, and seeing what they say. They may be able to reassure you - or they may be able to help improve things.

I wouldn't change her food again without talking to a vet first, as it sounds like she's much more comfortable overall on this one. :)

3. Anr714

Anr714 Registered Users

I did talk to the vet yesterday and we’re gonna put her on 10 mg of an over-the-counter nausea medication for seven days and see if the behavior stops or continues and that way we will know more.

4. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

So glad to hear you have a plan that will help give you some more information ❤️