Dog skin problems - Idk what else to do??

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Rydernlilo20, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Rydernlilo20

Rydernlilo20 Registered Users

OK, so I have two labs, One Ryder(mama) is around 10 y.o. and Lilo (daughter) is about to be 6 in July. Ryder is a lab and pit mix, and she got pregnant by a a huge full blood box head lab, so Lilo is more full blood than not. So the have had serious skin problems ( Ryder more so than Lilo) This has been going on for more than 6 months. They have never had fleas, and what is going on is there lower back and tail is so dry, and the hair is gone. And they itch constantly! It all started when I had to go out of town for a couple months, I had them on pedigree for ever, and my grandfather watched them and had them on gravy train or some similar horrible food, so I tried back with the pedigree and it only helped Lilo a bit, since then I have gotten better and better food, now they are on Blue Buffalo. Like I said they have never had fleas, and I've tried every otc and home remedy. Including but not limited to, giving coconut oil daily orally and topical, apple cider vinegar in water and as a rinse after bath, hydrocortisone cream topical, and medicated dog shampoos. They also get allergy meds daily an now are on omega 3 oils daily. Lilos skin and coat have come back, but Ryder just seems to get worse! She also has bumps all around her lower back/tail area. I am at my wits end and feel so bad for my babies. Please help. I tried to include photos but don't know how. I just don't know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2020
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Are sure it's a food allergy? Could they have mange/,flea allergy? Just because you can't see fleas doesn't mean they don't have them. Have they been seen by a vet? If you have done all these things with no result. it's perhaps time to consult with one.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I agree with @SwampDonkey has the vet done skin scrapes or biopsies ?

4. Rydernlilo20

Rydernlilo20 Registered Users

I was in a motorcycle accident 4/23/18 the driver didn't even make it. That has left me with a very damaged leg and I'm unable to work so no income since, needless to say its been a struggle, im fighting to get on disability which hopefully fingers crossed I'll get approved this time. I just had 2 more surgeries in October and I'm bout to probably have my leg amputated so I really haven't had the extra income to go to the vet, but yes I'm gonna try to make her an appointment today and see what I can do maybe a payment plan or something. Thank you guys I was just hoping maybe something I didn't think of but you're absolutely right I think it could be some kind of mange since both dogs have it we will see I'll keep you updated.

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I'm sorry you've been through such a tough time. Most vets will do a payment programme or know of a practice who will. Its the best thing to do in the long run. Hope your dogs are and you are ok.