Dog theft on the rise

Discussion in 'Labradors in the News' started by Elsie, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Elsie

Elsie Registered Users

UK media are reporting an increase in dog theft across the uk.
    I stumbled across a campaign by “Stolen and missing pets alliance”. They are petitioning parliament to

Reclassify the theft of a pet to a specific crime in its own right.

If they reach 100,000 petitions they force a debate of the law in Parliament.
    More details on the website below plus a link to sign the petition.

http://theconversation.com/pet-thef...han-60-dogs-stolen-in-the-uk-every-week-91418

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

On only a slightly related note, a Horse in Oregon is suing his former owner for neglect, asking for $100,000 settlement. The Animal Legal Defense Fund in Portland is suing the former owner on behalf of the horse (an American Quarter Horse) for mistreatment in which the horse was 300# underweight and suffered some other damage.

There has been discussion here about reclassifying pet theft so it is more than just a property crime. It is not a big problem here, but it does occur, and I understand the penalties are based on the value of the property.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's just so awful. Last year in a village a distance from us, someone broke into a house and stole the puppies from the Mum, leaving her behind :(:( Today I read that a Cockapoo was stolen from his own garden by an Amazon delivery man. What the ...... :mad: x