Dog training for new pet door..?/

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Chandler&Co, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Chandler&Co

Chandler&Co Registered Users

I feel pretty confused on how to train Chandler on the doggie door I just got him. He's a smart dude, but he gets scared when it opens and closes...Anyone experience this? Not sure if there is a thread already. Like he even scoots back and forth because he is uncomfortable when it touches him. Maybe it is the material. .
    my coworker showed me this blog to try https://www.petdoors.com/blog/the-top-techniques-for-at-home-pet-door-training/ BUUUT I mean this can be generic. :eek:

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Mine learnt very quickly, food on either side is a good way to get them to come through and go out. They soon forget the feeling of it touching them if there is something dishy on the other side!

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

If Chandler is concerned about the new dog door begin by just rewarding him for going towards it. Once he is happy to be close it can help if you can prop the flap up and reward him for walking through the gap. Once he's doing that happily you can start to reduce the gap until he has to push through. Take time and reward each step of the way and he'll get there.