Dog Walking in hot weather?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Andy Aveyard, Jul 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy Aveyard

Andy Aveyard Registered Users

Hi everyone, no doubt it's hot where you are too if you're in the UK?

It's 28c here at the moment and I have doubts about taking Holly out today for walk in this heat. She's 16 months old and in season at the moment. We do have some woodland nearby, but there are Snakes out and about. Holly was bitten by an Adder in February, thank goodness for pet insurance!

The temperature isn't due to drop by much until very late.

What would you do, keep her home where it's cool?

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

I would stay at home and go out about 9pm.

3. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Ugh - I feel your pain. Our house is a terrible design which means the downstairs heats up like a greenhouse because the sun is shining in through the glass doors from midday until sunset, but there are no windows for ventilation. We can't have the doors open because the pup will get up to mischief while we're trying to work at the kitchen table so we have the fan on at full whack and Luna can be generally found sprawled on the tiled floor!! I've also stocked up our freezer with frozen versions of her food, and little "pupsicles" to cool her down. Definitely no walking in the day though - I think I'd pass out, let alone the dog :)

I walk her about 6.30am or 7am for about 45 minutes, and then if she looks up for it, again at about 9pm but it's still really muggy even at that time. She's also a bit crazed by then too because we've not done enough mental stimulation during the day, and she's a bit freaked out by the routine change as she's normally fast asleep by then. We're just working out the right routine to make sure she's maybe done some shaping at lunchtime, using frozen treats, so she's a bit more controllable for an evening walk.

How in the heck did we cope with 9 weeks of this last year!!

Saffy/isla likes this.
  4. Andy Aveyard

Thanks all. I forgot to mention that my wife took Holly out early this morning.

I decided to wait until 9pm before walking Holly, there was quite a nice breeze by that time and it certainly helped. Holly also had a quick shower before going outdoors.

5. LoopyLuna

Luna appears to be the only labrador in the world that is afraid of the hosepipe when it's on. It's bonkers. She even refuses food when she's in the kitchen and the hose pipe is on outside.

Alfie and me likes this.
  6. Jithin Suman

Jithin Suman Registered Users

I live in the UAE where the temperatures are of 40 degree Celsius! I take my DJ out At 5am and in the evening but yes they get exhausted very easily. Is it advisable? Thanks

7. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Nope Toby hates it too!

8. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Does Luna like the water though? We used our grandsons long since discarded turtle paddling pool and Isla loves getting in up to her knees when we get back from her walk!

We are the same,her routine has had to be changed with either a really early7.00 am or late evening after9.00walk. We can see this has "confused" Isla, she keeps leaping up every time i move,bless her

9. LoopyLuna

She'll paddle, but won't lie down or swim and actively avoids the scary hose pipe. Bless her.

10. Andy Aveyard

I'm beginning to wonder if Holly is part Duck, there's just no keeping her out of the water.