Dogs allowed on furniture?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mary Lily, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Mary Lily

Mary Lily Registered Users

im just curious. Do you allow your dog up on your furniture? Why, why not.

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Yes, my Cassie is allowed on some furniture but not others. She knows which, and also I've noticed not when she's wet or dirty, choosing her own bed then, whether she's worked out that she shouldn't then herself I'm not sure.
    I like her to be close to me when we are relaxing.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yep because they like it and I like it. Sharing the sofa is a great civilizing influence. They like to touch us and be near us. Its nice .:D

selina27 likes this.
  4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Yep!

He's allowed on the couch. I'd let him on the bed but OH says no, so I let him up when OH's not in. :D I love cuddles and having him around.

Before we got a dog I was like "no dogs on the furniture!". But cuddles on the couch were the only place he settled so it only lasted a week or so. :rolleyes:

He's currently cuddled between me and OH snoring away and none of us could be happier :D

5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She's not allowed on furniture but sneaks onto the bottom of the bed every night. We pretend not to notice, especially on cold winter nights.

6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

No to furniture - I don't know why, just no. We get down on the floor with Coco. Yes to beds. I know, it makes no sense. All dogs have understood the rules.

selina27 likes this.
  7. Helen

Helen Registered Users

We weren't going to allow Buster on the furniture.... but you now how it is, it didn't take him long to get on the settee.

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes. I like having Molly on the sofa with me (and of course she likes it). She's allowed on the bed too, but not when I want to go to sleep because she takes up too much room. I just tell her to go to her own bed then and she does.
    When I was a child our dogs were allowed on the furniture, so as an adult I just carried on with it. I'm not very fussy about a specially clean / tidy house.

9. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Samantha Jones likes this.
  10. SwampDonkey

I got the new catalogue today Labrador print now you're talking:D

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

12. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ella's allowed on our couches at home but not when we're at my parents. She never tries to jump up when we're there.

We're the same as @Joy with the bed. Ella can come up for cuddles before bed and in the morning but she has her own bed in our room that she sleeps in at night.

13. SwampDonkey

Don't last a long thought my last orvis bed lasted for 12 years and I only gave it away because it had been an older dogs bed. I think it would have lasted for another couple years. I've also got a tuffy bed which I've had for about 3 years.

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, because I like to cuddle my doggie and because he likes being on the couch. He's also allowed on the couches and beds at my parents' place and parents-in-laws' place.

15. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Always allowed, even though I did say Vanilla was not allowed up on the bed originaly. But after a very bad storm last year and it was just me and her she would only settle on the bed with me. Since then she will now take herself off to bed. If we don't follow after about 15min or so she will come back out and just give you the 'look'.
    But she knows which furniture she is not allowed on. Will make it interesting when we get a new settee. One thing she really likes is trying to climb up on you when we are sitting at the desk.
    Love the cuddles

16. NewLabMommy

NewLabMommy Registered Users

We don't allow Max on any furniture except his bed - which is pretty big and plush. The biggest reason is our sofas are very new and the most expensive furniture we've ever purchased. The bad thing is that even though he's not allowed on them they still smell like dog and he has rubbed a dirty behind on them once already and they are cream colored. :mad:

So far he isn't allowed in any part of the house except the family room so he can't sleep with anyone to my kids dismay.

17. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Yes! I wasn't going to let him on the furniture, but just after I adopted him he had kennel cough. He looked so sad that I let him get on the sofa and the bed!

We have throws over the sofas. One sofa is a cheaper, less comfortable one that we don't sit on so usually Lucky lies on that, or rolls around on this back, or digs up the throw - but he knows he's not allowed to do that on the nice sofa!

18. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I always have to answer when this question comes up as I lobby hard for the "dogs everywhere" contingent. :D

So yes, dogs on the sofa, armchair, bed, anywhere else that I am. It means wisely choosing washable duvet covers and sofa materials in "fur camouflage" colours, plus more laundry and making sure my dogs were super clean, but that's ok...well worth it.

Screenshot 2017-08-10 08.05.30.png

Screenshot 2017-08-10 08.06.38.png

Screenshot 2017-08-10 08.08.02.png

Screenshot 2017-08-10 08.08.21.png

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lovely pics! I too am firmly in the 'access all areas' camp. Dog is family....

20. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

image.jpeg

My rule was 'not on the sofa' but every time I came down stairs I got 'he's not on the sofa he's on my lap'!