Dogs allowed on furniture?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mary Lily, Aug 9, 2017.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Mine go upstairs once in a while and are supervised due to medical equipement and medication up there. They don't seem to mind and have free run in the rest of the house .it would be nice but it'd just not safe for them up there

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, Tatze has her own chair and is allowed on my sofa, head on my knee. The pups are not allowed on any furniture and they accept that no problem :)

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley is allowed on all furniture, bed, sofas, chairs etc, wherever she wants really. I said no furniture initially, but that lasted a few days.
    I like her on the sofa and sleeping with us. If she's too hot she will get off and lie on her cool mat in our bedroom.

4. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

No to furniture and no to actually going upstairs. The main reason is because I hate housework which would be much increased by muddy, hair shedding, dribbly dogs on the furniture.
    No going upstairs is a combination of housework as previously mentioned and avoiding hip/elbow stress by running up and down stairs. None of our dogs have ever walked on stairs/steps, they have all gone hell for leather :rolleyes:

5. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Yes , to furniture but no to beds ! This isn't because I don't like dogs on beds, its purely because Sam is a very big dog who weighs 40 kilos , there would be no room for us ! But apart from beds , they crash out wherever they like , I love a dog next to me on the sofa , and this is Sams special place x

7. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

No to beds (and he never goes further than the bedroom doorway - he gets a kibble or two for not coming in :) )

- risk of a missed tick is too large. We are vaccinated for TBE, but the risk of Lyme's is always there.

No to sofa:

- Nelson has 3 separate places where he can sleep/relax. All have vetbed/fleece on them. After a while the vetbed/fleece smells pretty bad. I guess it's a combination of dirt from outside plus he sometimes pees on his legs, so that might rub off somewhere too. I also think that after a softer poo, it's possible that something gets rubs on to his bed whilst he rolls around. I can put the vetbed/fleece in a 95°C wash, and it comes out like new, but I can't do the same with the sofa.

I don't think his life is any worse for having these limitations. We still bond a lot together when we sit on the floor.
    I think the decision is more about what the owner's wants and needs are, and we are all acceptably different :)

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My dogs are not allowed upstairs - the stairs are still covered in black hair!

It travels on our shoes :rolleyes:

drjs@5 and Rishin like this.
  9. BarbWireBlondie

BarbWireBlondie Registered Users

At first, I was like, no, but they tug at your heartstrings and then you say yes!

Jes72 and Naya like this.
  10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

No, mine aren't as OH didn't want them on our leather sofas, they actually have never tried to get on the sofas or on the bed, strange!

My previous dogs, GSPs, were allowed on in the evenings when I put a throw over the previous sofas, they never tried to get on during the day. If I had had my way, the present Labs would have been allowed up on a throw. However, they have their beds at my feet, so we are close together.

11. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Yes to both sofa and bed.....initially it was only the sofa he was allowed to snooze on when he was tiny. Then when he was out of his crate at night and he realised he was big enough to jump up, then he did - initially once we were asleep, then just to watch the TV with us before we went to sleep and when TV was turned off he had to go to his bed. Then one cold winters night I had been working late and didn't get to bed until gone 2am and I persuaded my OH it was the normal time he got on the bed, so there was no harm in him staying there and it was cold......yes hands up I always wanted him on the bed! But he is not allowed on sofas or beds when we go to my mum's or to my dad & stepmum's houses. I spend most of my time sitting on the floor then!

12. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Our last lab wasn't allowed on the furniture. Shortly after we went to bed we'd hear her get out of her bed and jump onto the sofa. Every morning she would jump back down and go to bed when we got up.

We'd go downstairs and find the dog in bed with the sofa still warm and covered in dog hair. Sometimes you just can't win with Labradors!

13. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel isn't allowed on the couches upstairs, Odie is though. Axel is allowed on the couches downstairs but only goes up when we ask him too, his choice not ours. He is allowed on our bed for night cuddles but OH is starting to not like this as Axel is now 44kg and takes up a lot of space. But every morning when OH leaves Axel comes up for mommy snuggles for a couple hours:heart:

I personally would love Axel to snuggle on our couches upstairs but for OH it's a hard no :(

14. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I started off as a 'no dog on the sofas' owner as, when I grew up, this was the rule in our house for all three of our labs.

My pup was constantly trying to get on the sofa (childhood labs never did) and I was constantly getting her off and sitting on the floor with her.
    Fast forward a few months and she's now allowed on the sofa in the lounge that has a throw and one in the dining room that has one of her beds on it. When I'm working in the dining room she sleeps on that sofa and in the evening we snuggle on the lounge sofa.

I love snuggling with her more than I can say. She often tucks herself under my arm or if I'm laying down, snuggles in the hollow of my bent up knees! Sometimes, when she really wants my attention, she clambers across me until I'm pinned against the back of the sofa with her body under my chin!
    I'm far more comfortable on the sofa than the floor.

She's allowed on one of the sofas at my parents which has a cover on it and doesn't try to get on the other.

At night she sleeps on her bed in the kitchen behind the baby gate. I'm not averse to her sleeping in my room but I know she'd try to sleep on the bed with me and I really don't want that; firstly because my bed is quite high off the ground and I don't want her freely jumping on and off owing to the pressure on her joints and secondly; on the one occasion she came up on to the bed of a morning, she snuggled so close to me, despite there being loads of room on the other side, that she almost pushed me out. Snuggles on the sofa are one thing but I can't stand snuggles in bed, from anyone or anything! :rolleyes:

selina27 likes this.
  15. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Our two dogs are not allowed upstairs or on the furniture downstairs. DH and I get on the floor with them for playtime every evening and they both have a bed in the sitting room. At night one sleeps in her bed in the utility room and one in her crate in the kitchen.

16. Carys

Carys Registered Users

I was a no dogs on the sofa person for all of 2 days.

I had high hopes. Childhood dogs were never allowed on the furniture, though one had her own table in the kitchen (it wasn't used for anything else)

Cody has free rein of the ground floor but is only allowed upstairs when we are upstairs. This is rare as if one of us is downstairs he is downstairs too. Not allowed on the bed. He is a permanent malter and there is already far to much hair on my duvet without encouraging more.

Cody sleep downstairs on our sofa overnight with the door firmly shut to upstairs.

Plum's mum likes this.
  17. Spencerboy

Spencerboy Registered Users

I let my dogs on our furniture. I use lots of throw covers and it doesn't bother me! But they cannot eat on the furniture!! For relaxing only!

Plum's mum likes this.
  18. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Yes to the bed but no to couches and other chairs and Harley has never pushed that boundary. She LOVES the bed but she doesn't sleep with us, there just isnt enough space

19. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Oh yes - he's allowed on the sofa, but only the old, easy wipe clean one!

20. CherryBiscuit

CherryBiscuit Registered Users

Luckily I had children first, so all the sofas in my house are washable, so Biscuit is allowed anywhere as long as she is being sensible. She is 10-months, and can still get a little rowdy in the early evenings, so if she is on the couch and making a nuisance of herself when my children are trying to watch their zealously guarded hour of TV, off she goes. And I do try make her wait to get on and only jump on when invited. She usually falls asleep on whichever child's bed I'm on when she's tired, and moves to my bed sometime during the night. She's actually quite considerate, and we usually sleep back-to-back.

selina27 likes this.