Dogs and their owners - the good, the bad, the ugly (behaviours, not appearance ;)

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by 20180815, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 20180815

20180815 Guest

What are some polite doggy behaviours every owner should employ when out in public (on and off lead)?

What are some things other dog owners do that drive you crazy and should be avoided?

2. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

It drives me mad if other dog owners feed my dog, it just encourages my already over friendly dog to run up to people! - I ve started telling people he has allergies and a sensitive tummy :oops:

Lin likes this.
  3. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

The bad: My boy goes absolutely bananas when either other dogs or people walk close to him. I'm trying to train him to calm the heck down, so I've begun pulling him 5 or 6 meters off the track we walk and telling him to sit (feeding him treats) when they approach. No go. Some bleeding dog walkers - they actually walk up to me to say "Hello" and get me to treat their dogs with my treats (I did it when I first stumbled across them [with their permission, of course]) and now it's become an expectation - despite my deliberately and obviously walking a fair bit off the track more recently.

The ugly: My boy is 6 months old and strong as an ox - holding him back from jumping all over them and their dogs is a near on impossible and a freaking nightmare!

The good: On the other hand, there have been a couple of walkers who recognise what I'm attempting to do so walk past quickly and avert their eyes (deliberately ignoring my boy) - thanks to them for their courtesy.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Feeding my dog I really really really hate it. He's got colitis it makes him ill. He can't have chicken or grain their cheap nasty treats always have chicken in. Always!

Watch out for the walkers who say their dogs just wants to play, they usually don't

I made some great friends and been helped out by some wonderful dog walkers. I friendly as possible and try to have an open mind.

I learnt who can't control their dogs and which dogs are allowed to be mean.

If a dogs on a lead or the walker puts it on a lead when they see us I put mine on a lead just till I know it's ok.

Study a much about doggies body language as I can. It helps.

Be patient with others when the are struggling and either get out if the way or be encouraging and friendly. a kind word and understanding helps.

Be friendly to the pit bull owners as their dogs are muzzled because they have to be not always because they need to be. Its hard to take on a dog when everyone runs the other way and treats you and your dog are evil

5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Don't assume everyone is happy to see your dog on lead or not.
    Ask if it's ok to greet and or play.

Respect what others are attempting to do with their dogs, don't assume we are all working to the same standards.
    Give leaway/ support if it's clear things have gone pear=shaped for the other owner (please!)

Thinking they know what's best for her !
    Insisting on giving titbits-- why, just why?
    Insisting on getting their hands on her to fuss her when it's clear I 'm trying to promote a calmer way of greeting people.
    Shouting over " it's ok, he's just playing" when its not ok!

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Dog owners who allow their dogs to run up and start bouncing over my dog(s) saying that their dog is friendly/only wants to play. Don't care, I decide who we meet and greet not some random person out walking a dog.

Learn canine body language I helps you spot the 'friendly' dog :)

I so, so agree with you. Do not judge a dog by what it looks like or because it's forced by the law to wear a muzzle - judge it by it's behaviour. I can think of several dogs I see regularly who really should be wearing muzzles but aren't

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I think I've become more outspoken as I've got older. I have no hesitation nowadays of saying "Sorry, could you wait until I've asked him/her to sit. Thank you". My dog, my rules or don't blame me for muddy paws on your clothes :)

drjs@5 and selina27 like this.
  8. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

My biggest bug bear is people who think they or their children have a right to pet my dog. He's not public property, and I want his attention on me. I once said to a lady who's two children were literally tugging at him when he was about 5 months - please could you stop them, he's a bit mouthy and I'd hate for him to nip them. And she told me that if he was aggressive he needed training or to be put to sleep :mad: My response was less than polite and she soon called her children back.

I always appreciate understanding owners when Stanley goes running up to them before I can get his lead on. I always go running after him and apologise and 9/10 times they're ok with it and say their dog was a pup once too so they get it.

Alfie and me and selina27 like this.
  9. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow, humans can be just horrifying.

OK, good behaviour:
    • Picking up your poo.
    • Asking to let your dog greet other dogs, on or off leash.
    • Asking if you can give other dogs a treat.
    • Recognising if your dog has behavioural issues and would be safe unleash or muzzled.
    • If you are renting or in a hotel, making sure to leave the place tidy so future dogs will be welcome.

The bad...
    • I guess pretty much the opposite of the above. :D
    • Feeding dog treats is especially problematic and hard to defuse. Brogan turned into a horrible mooch in Italy because people loved to give him the ends of their gelato cones. Impossible to tell someone (or to have them hear you) that "No, that is actually the 12th gelato cone he's had today so pleeeeease STOP."
    • Another pet peeve is people who go to dog parks or other off leash areas, let their dog off leash and then sit and text on their mobiles while their dog wreaks terror on the general population.

The ugly...
    • In Spain, "No hace nada" when meeting another dog usually means "My dog is about to try to kill yours and I won't even try to stop it". Technically "No hace nada" means "he doesn't do anything" or the English equivalent of "Oh, he's friendly". The irony. :mad:
    • Letting your dog harass or chase bikers, joggers or other dogs and saying "he's just playing".
    • Ruining a place's dog-friendliness (restaurants, parks, shops) for future doggie customers by in any way being a sausage-head.

10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I saw a man walking his dogs a few times with a book which he was reading as he walked. :eek:

11. Alfie and me

Alfie and me Registered Users