Dogs in cars

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JenBainbridge, Jun 18, 2017.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I know this is probably a bit of a silly question but I've never had to do it before.

I know you can't leave a dog in a car when it's hot - but can you take them in the car? We have aircon and stuff and he won't be left at all.

That should be OK shouldn't it? :rolleyes:

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I tend to put the aircon on full blast, even if it feels cold and I need to put a jumper on. We also make sure the sun can't reach the dogs. We had a long, hot journey recently and the dogs were fine. Plenty of stops for water and leg stretches.

:)

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes that's fine. Also take a drink of water. You can buy non spill travel bowls which are great and can be left with the dog. Lots of stops for wees and a stretch. We have done 2 very long drives to Scotland (12 hours) and our dogs enjoyed the journey more than I did! They had a double duvet covered with vet fleece and aircon when needed :) x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Road-Refresher-Spill-Water/dp/B001GULX04

4. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Mabel is a well travelled girl. I also have the air con on full blast. She lies on the back seat in her harness and is absolutely fine. I always carry water and a bowl plus a hundred other dog related items in the boot.

5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Yes, fine. Open windows or aircon on. Make sure your dog is in the shade, you can get suction shade covers for the windows.

6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Thanks everyone :)

I wanted to take him to the river so he could have a splash but it's about half an hours drive so I wanted to make sure he would be ok.

I've now got a very tired puppy from splashing in the river for an hour to keep cool :D

Atemas, AngelConradie, Jes72 and 2 others like this.
  7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Of course. My car has all the vents aimed to the back so the dog gets the AC more than I do. You probably notice yourself that AC is very dehydrating so I echo the comments on water to drink, puppy will likely be more thirsty than usual.

8. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Yes, they will be fine. If it's safe enough for you to sit in the car with windows open or air-conditioning on it will be fine for them too.