Dogs in hot weather

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Jun 18, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

We went to a local beach yesterday morning , me , Paul , daughter and young grandson along with Sam and Nell . We went early due to the heat , got there at 9 and left at 10.30 by which time the beach was getting crowded . This beach has a river running through to the sea , lovely and shallow , ideal for children and dogs , the beach itself being dog friendly all year round . Sam had a blast with grandson Silas, in the river , whilst Nell sat on the towel with us as she wasn't allowed to swim yet , being just 12 days post spay . What worried me were the numbers of people bringing dogs on to the beach as we were leaving, it was already hot and judging by the luggage being brought with some people, they intending being there for some time ! It was roasting hot yesterday afternoon , our two slept under the trees in the garden or indoors , and I couldn't help wondering about the poor dogs out in the sun on the beach all day . Even if they drink plenty of water , there must be a risk of heat exhaustion ? Do others take their dogs out in the heat and if so , how do they cope ?

2. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Interested in how others cope. My DH is walking our two now - always goes early anyway and especially important when it is going to be hot. Already it is hot and going to be hotter than yesterday. Had fans going yesterday inside. When outside, kept to shady part of garden but bought them in afternoon/early evening. Took Red for a walk at 7pm and kept it short and stayed on shady side of roads - still felt it was too hot.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I'm very strict about the heat. Not really strict about much but the heat. All the dogs are walked early. Very early and if it's too hot they don't go out again i test the pavement for heat check the weather forecast have a paddling pool for the dogs. Fans, tiled flooring wet towel and plant mister at the ready. I had one dog who Had LP so it was horrible watching him struggle in the heat.Moo has a heart murmur so it's hard for her in the heat. I hate the heat myself as it aggravates my chronic health problems. We stay in .

I have friend who's a vet practice manager and x vet nurse and the things she sees every year in hot weather is terrible. People never listen never learn and just don't think. Their practice does the RSPCA cruelty work for the area and it's horrible when its hot. Cooked dogs in cars dogs who have been exercised in the heat and damaged their internal organs on and on every year. Its just terrible

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I think we have to be more careful with sudden heatwaves when they aren't acclimatised to it. Especially with driven dogs, who no matter what just have to chase that squirrel...although the squirrels are far more sensible and in the heat I expect they are just dozing in the tree canopies.
    Bramble seems more comfortable in the heat, maybe her lean tall build is more suited compared to Benson who sports a really thick double coat.
    They have all been walked at 6.30am, Casper and Bramble went to the beautiful cool lower woods and Benson went out hiking for 2 hours a bit earlier with my Dad :)
    We have the gel cool mats which really work, plus a large paddling pool for them in the garden. Smaller meals and more frozen kongs during the day :)

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Mine seem to cope ok. When I take them for their short morning walk, it will down the shady lane. This afternoon, we can walk in the shade to the pool, they can swim and get thoroughly soaked and will be cool for the rest of their walk. However, the beach is a different thing, I suppose a swim in the sea will cool them; if it is that hot this pm, the humans won't be able to stay there to long!

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

David walks very early, 5.30 - 6.00 am with Charlie as he suffers a lot in the heat being a tall lean dog, quite the opposite to Bramble @Beanwood, Charlie never quite knows what to do with himself, going from room to room flopping down. Hattie doesn't seem to suffer as much even with her very thick coat, but I take her out early or very late in the evening. Never, ever during the day during this weather it's just not a sensible thing to do.

They have a paddling pool but Hattie won't go in and Charlie just stands in it ducking his head under water which is quite amusing to watch :rolleyes::) xx

7. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Not sure how hot it is in the UK at the moment. Today it's in the mid-20s here in Germany, so not too hot. In the summer we have a lot of days where its in the mid-30s, and stays hot until late in the evening. When it's like this we usually go for a longer walk in the morning, usually around 7 or 8 - so not as early as some. We stay in the in the woods where it's shady, and although Lucky doesn't swim, I make sure I go to a river or stream a couple of times on the walk, because he will paddle and have a drink.

We often visit lakes in the afternoon at the weekends when it is very hot, but we stay in the shade and go down to the water frequently so Lucky can paddle. We don't walk very far and take frequent breaks, but might be out for 2-3 hours.

I don't live near a beach as we're pretty far inland, but wouldn't take him to a beach if it was very hot and there was no shade.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My son is cycling from Heidelberg to Manchester in four days - hope he's packed his sunscreen :rolleyes:

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Indeed Mags, it's supposed to be well above 30 degrees from tomorrow for the whole week here.

We also do the early morning and late evening walk, coupled with a paddling pool in the garden and possibly a trip to the local pond or river. Obviously Merlin doesnt get exercised so much anyway, so a single trip out a day is enough for him. I think too it's a good point about dogs getting acclimatized to the heat - they learn to take it easy during the day.

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I wish we had a little bit the heat problem..:( It's "hot" here today - our weather station is reading 17.6°C at noon.

11. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

We've reached +25 recently and I've noticed Nelson (14 weeks) panting occasionally and sitting down more. The trouble is, he wants to do this in the sun (not the shade). :rolleyes: The sun comes up around 3:00 and sets around 23:00 at this time of year, so avoiding it is difficult.
    But to be honest, I will worry more in the winter when it drops below -30°C.

12. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I wouldn't like to have Cassie anywhere there isn't any shade for any length of time in the hot sun. In the cool shady woods or by the lake or stream she is fine, and at home she has the choice to lie in the sun and move when she wants to, and get a drink. I think just don't put them through it unnecessarily.
    I'm just back from the SW Forum walk in the lovely Forest of Dean, we were back at the car at 11.30, I don't think we'd have wanted to be any later.
    A good point about not knowing they are over doing it as well I think.

13. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

A week ago Sat. Oban collapsed, could not stand, could not get up, was thrashing and crying on the ground. I had to carry him part way out of the bush. He could walk when we hit the main trail and made it to the car but I had to leash him, as soon as he felt better he wanted to run, run, run again. He was panting heavily but was ok after about an hour of icing, cold water and cooling fan once back home. I think he had some heat exhaustion. I've had it and I had similar symptoms. It was 24C (~74F) but very, very humid. It was pretty darn scary.

14. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Glad Oban is better and you were able to cool him down. It shows how easily and quickly dogs can overheat even to conciencious owners.

We took Homer to the Alps a few summers ago. Instead of walking along the path he had more fun running up and down the mountain side. He was soon rasping for breath, but still wanted to run. We turned round and found a mountain stream for him to play in instead. It gave me quite an awakening as to how easily he overheated.

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

The thing is, our dogs wear a thick fur coat that they can't take off, and they can't sweat to cool down either.

Merlin went for his first swim this afternoon! A nice pond near us with an easy sloping beach. We threw the tennis ball for Poppy, and he just followed her in! Completely unfazed, like he'd been swimming all his life! They were both nice and cool after that :)

SwampDonkey likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

How horribly frightening :(

17. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a clever boy!

Mollie doesn't quite 'get' swimming. She swims then sinks, then surfaces again!

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Mine do next to nothing in the heat and they're not crawling the walls in frustration.

19. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We have very hot and humid weather in the summer (feels like 38c this afternoon). We do short, slow walks -about 10 mins once in the morning and once in the afternoon and go to the lake late evening for a swim in weather like this. It's so humid, Quinn won't even leave the front step today!

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Do any of your dogs wee in streams? I've seen moo up to her neck in water with just her head poping out have a wee.very funny is it just her being moo. I never met another dog who does this and if they do never in such deep water