Dogs on Television

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Ski-Patroller, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper really reacts to dogs on TV. We have nose prints on the TV screen. She obviously knows which are dogs, because she does not react to Horses, Cattle, Sheep etc on TV. She is actually the first dog we have ever had that paid the least attention to TV.

I understand that before HDTV came in, dogs brains could not process the TV image like we do and saw a bunch of lines not a picture. I'm not sure whether this was true in Europe, since you used PAL instead of NTSC before HDTV came in.

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I've heard that too but our animals always reacted to images on TV, long before HD. Maybe it was partly the sound and the movement. Right now we get HD signal but do not have an HD TV. Both Oban and the cats react.

Funny thing, HD signal on an old cathode ray tube TV is pretty good. We did try an HD TV for a while but it was before we could get HD signal on many channels so we returned it because the old, non HD, signal on HD TV was terrible.

3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

My first dog (20 years ago) was an avid TV watcher and definitely reacted to dogs vs. other animals on screen. His favourite movie was Turner and Hooch. I could stick that on and just leave him in the bedroom to watch if I had a busy day around the house. I always knew when the dog was onscreen because Duncan would jump on the bed in excitement. It was darn cute. Fast forward to Brogan and for him, he didn't even seem to register movement on a TV screen, let alone dogs. Definitely NOT a TV fan! :)

4. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Maisy watches the football, just like my OH, damn.

Atemas and Granca like this.
  5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam watched tv too , he would always grumble away when animals came on , and occasionally would go right up to the screen and bark . Nelly ignores the tv completely but then she cant hear it x

Harley Quinn and Granca like this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Yep, Cassie too identifies dogs from other animals on the TV, this was clarified when watching sheepdog trials, there is no doubt that she was following the movements of the dogs, not the sheep. She did look behind the TV though, after they all seemed to run in that direction !

Jazzmynn likes this.
  7. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Quinn will watch any sports with balls (tennis, baseball, some hockey) and is mesmerized. She will take a look when she hears a dog on TV, but doesn't keep watching!

8. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Ditto with Vanilla. She then turns and looks at me with a very confused look and then back to the TV.
    Most animals will get her attention on TV