Drooling

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Naya, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

In the last few days Harley has started drooling a lot ??? It's not just a little bit either! She tends to do it more when waiting for her food or treats. She is 5 months old and is teething badly - she's constantly chewing her bones/chews. Is this normal?

Thanks

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Drooling

Yes, its normal :) I have a drooler too , Sam is now two and a half years old and has been drooling since he was a puppy , always when he is excited and in anticipation of either food or retrieving , some are worse than others , Sam is shocking at times ::)

3. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Hey Naya its completely normal for puppies at Harley's age to chew constantly don wry its bcoz of the irritation caused during teething jus provide him appropriate chew toys(it helps him from chewing unwanted things like cushions,shoes,wires etc) and dental chews as they clean the teeth ad keep the bad breath away keep an eye on him carefully as u don want to ruin ur carpets and furniture.. :p :) :) :) :)

4. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Brew is a drooler too, Naya. Put her food down and, until she's released to go get it, it is a bit like turning on the proverbial tap... ;D
    Clare

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yep, Charlie can drool for Great Britain ;D Hattie does not xx

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Good to know it's not only Harley :)

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Before I got a dog I used to wonder why Pavlov bothered to collect dog saliva as part of his experiments on conditioning. I thought that surely such a thing must have been extremely tiresome, collecting tiny little quantities of drool. Then I got a dog. And I realised that Pavlov probably just collected the drool in a wheelbarrow.

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3994.msg46548#msg46548 date=1389565513]
    Before I got a dog I used to wonder why Pavlov bothered to collect dog saliva as part of his experiments on conditioning. I thought that surely such a thing must have been extremely tiresome, collecting tiny little quantities of drool. Then I got a dog. And I realised that Pavlov probably just collected the drool in a wheelbarrow.
    [/quote]

ROFL !!!!

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Popy doesn't drool; but then she doesn't pee much either. In fact, I sometimes worry that she doesn't drink enough and so doesn't wee very much either. Some mornings when I let her out in the garden she simply will not have a wee - first pee of the day today was at 11 :eek: . I certainly couldn't hang on that long.

Maybe the two things (drooling and peeing) are connected?

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Karen link=topic=3994.msg46746#msg46746 date=1389627957]
    first pee of the day today was at 11 :eek: . I certainly couldn't hang on that long.
    [/quote]

Riley pees endlessly and at every opportunity but my friends female lab has a bladder of iron and can easily make it to 11 without a wee. She wouldn't go in their small garden when they lived in town so if anything delayed her walk she would just hold on.... :eek:

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley goes for a wee around 10.30/11pm and doesn't go again until at least 8am so not sure if the 2 are connected?? After this she will go for a wee around 11am/12pm, 3pm, 6pm then not til just before bed.
    Her drooling isn't just a little bit, it's pouring out ???

12. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Our previous Lab - Cocoa - was a world class drooler.

When we took her to the woods she'd drool from the moment her nose hit the ground. After a few minutes she'd have thick lines of drool from both side of her mouth with little bits of leaves and twigs attached. My wife used to call it her "drool-ery".