Ducklings

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Oberon, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: Ducklings

I want one!
    Clare

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have three in the brooder now - the black one, plus a blue and a silver. Blue is black diluted with one blue gene and silver is black diluted with two blue genes. There's still a blue one in the incubator working on getting out and that's the last one. Sorry for the dark photo but here they are in their brooder:

[​IMG]

Oh, sorry, that was Obi helping prepare the vacuum cleaner packaging for recycling.

Here are the ducklings:

[​IMG]

Obi making sure the ducklings don't get his chair:

[​IMG]

The ducklings' house:

[​IMG]

The two under the hen (who is called Lockyer) are also doing really well. Will get some pics of them later when it cools off a bit (too hot to go outside just now).

3. Oberon

I got a few pics of the ones with Lockyer the hen. She has found some wheat on the floor and is saying to them in chicken language "Look what I have found for you!! It is good!! Come and eat!!". The ducklings are going "Do you know what's she's talking about?" "Nope, no idea".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Despite the language barrier, Lockyer and the ducklings are working it all out. They don't need anyone to tell them what to eat. The ducklings have a crumbled duckling food and are scoffing it down like little champions. They visibly increase in size every day. In 8 weeks they will be fully grown.
    My two other hens, Eenie and Wills, are peering in at the new arrivals.

[​IMG]

4. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Awesome pics. They are so cute. And Obi is beautiful! Especially in the chair. Too cute!

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Fab pictures :) the ducklings certainly grow quickly!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So cute! Thanks so much for the update, really cheery to see such lovely little babies.

Obi is looking staggeringly lovely as always.

I see Obi has made sure the ducklings have a Lambie...

7. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

The little black one at the front of the brooder??? I think you'll find that one is mine...

Don't worry though, Obi - you're still gorgeous too.
    Clare

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You're not joking that they grow quickly!
    Gorgeous little fluff balls :)

I was half expecting a lambie in the brooder to be honest :D

Clearly Obi is keeping them all in check ;)

9. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Ok I have to ask. What is the go with the Lambies? I have seen several funny little posts regarding the Lambies, is there a post specific to this that I can catch up on the joke lol. Should I hunt one of these Lambies down for my new Milly? Lol

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=AnnetteB link=topic=3806.msg43872#msg43872 date=1388525190]
    Should I hunt one of these Lambies down for my new Milly? Lol
    [/quote]
    I suspect Lambie will hunt you down and find you............

11. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

They are so cute, mum would love chickens but with barley it is impracticable, he would eat them

12. Oberon

[quote author=AnnetteB link=topic=3806.msg43872#msg43872 date=1388525190]
    Ok I have to ask. What is the go with the Lambies? I have seen several funny little posts regarding the Lambies, is there a post specific to this that I can catch up on the joke lol. Should I hunt one of these Lambies down for my new Milly? Lol
    [/quote]

We have a theory (pretty much confirmed) that there is a Soft Toy Network that is being led by various Lambies (Obi has three Lambies but there are others) and the odd Snake. They communicate via various means - for example, they use mind control (of humans) to influence people to put up posts of their dogs apparently doing cute stuff like barking on cue, but really this barking is all about issuing instructions (e.g. to steal honey, chocolate, bacon fat). Now, you probably think that all this sounds crazy, but you will notice that you have already been drawn into the Network's web by contemplating the purchase of a Lambie for Milly, thereby enabling the Lambie Collective to strengthen its forces in the southern hemisphere.

This discovery has been made only through humans working together tirelessly on this forum. Relevant content is distributed over a number of threads (no doubt to the consternation of many readers). It took a while to make the connections.

Fact or lunacy? You decide ;)

[quote author=ClareJ link=topic=3806.msg43785#msg43785 date=1388500547]
    The little black one at the front of the brooder??? I think you'll find that one is mine...
    [/quote]

The black one is really cute :) I'll get some close-ups of each of them today. Plus today they will have their first swim in the bath :D (at 2pm our time.....we have people coming over to watch the maiden voyage).

13. Oberon

Couple more pics :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The yellowish looking one will grow up to be a pale blue, the grey one will be darker blue and the black one will be....black! :) Anywhere they have bright yellow will turn out white when they get their adult feathers.

14. Oberon

15. Oberon

Here's a video of their first bath. About two thirds of the way in the blue one flips over and does a kind of weird backwards swimming thing. Flipping back like that can indicate a bit of a vitamin deficiency (with a neurological effect) so the ducklings are all on an avian vitamin now. Should correct any problem. I collected these eggs during a hot period of weather, which means the ducks eat less and have less nutrition to put into the eggs (and egg shells are thinner too). My birds are on a high quality food, but if they aren't eating enough of it it doesn't get into the egg as they prioritise their own bodily functions with the food that they do eat and the eggs are compromised. This was evident in the fact that half the eggs I set in the incubator and under the hen stopped developing during the incubation period - also a sign of low food intake leading to lower nutrition for the developing ducklings. Anyway, I won't leave it so late next year and will collect and set eggs when it is still cool weather. The duckling is fine in every other way and they are all lively and strong :) Below is the link to the little video :)

http://youtu.be/ihf2UFZiC1w

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

cute overload!

V interesting about the backwards swimming thing and vitamins.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

They really are cute.
    Have they names?

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Rachael, maybe these little cuties should have Christmas related names :)

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I love them!!!

Did I mention that we have a duckling too? His name is Yellow Ducky:

[​IMG]

20. Oberon

Aw, Yellow Ducky and his doggie are gorgeous :)

Julie, the backwards flip thing is something I've only seen before when a duckling is standing and drinking. They put their head up to swallow and then keep going and flip right over. Or, sometimes they just continually look up at the sky, and this is called Star Gazing. I've never seen these in my own ducklings, only other people's. B vitamins will correct this problem. The blue duckling hasn't done anything odd before or since....but a vitamin supplement was the best move, just in case.

The ducklings that are with the hen had a swim yesterday too, in a paint tray. They loved it. I took it away overnight but will give it to them again today and will take some pics. :)

As far as the names go....I don't name any until I have decided which to keep and all the others are sold. That'll be in about 2 months. You get attached enough as it is :) But the ones we keep will definitely have names. We have a 'maritime explorer' naming theme (sometimes the maritime connection is a bit tenuous). We already have:
    Magellan
    Tasman
    Jansz
    Torres
    Shackleton
    Marco Polo
    Freycinet
    LaPerouse
    Solander
    Duyfken (that's a ship's name, meaning 'Little Dove')
    Trim (that's a ship's cat's name)

Ideas welcome :)