Ducklings

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Oberon, Dec 29, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Ducklings

What about a longitude theme - stopped all those (well some of them) navigators ending up on the rocks. Plus it's new year, datelines and all that (ok, that bit is tenuous - but some of us are in London anyway, I refuse to stop using the term GMT ::) ).

Frisus, Harrison and Arnold?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I like that, Julie - not too tenuous at all :D I read that book at some point - 'Longitude' - and next time were in London we want to visit the museum at Greenwich that has all the clocks and measuring devices in it. So, I like that theme! Harrison is definitely on the short list.

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Do Ducklings imprint on the first things they see? Just seen a cat on the TV who is mothering 3 ducklings ;D

4. Oberon

They do :) These guys are quite fond of hands and faces because that's what they saw first in the incubator and that's what they see appearing at their brooder window all the time. Eventually when they're allowed outside on the ground they will follow me. But once they grow up they'll just want to be with other ducks. The two that are with the chicken are obviously very attached to her and stick fairly close to her. I'll spend a lot of time quietly watching them so they get used to me. My hen knows me and comes up to me so that will help as the ducklings will take her cue and not see me as a problem. When they grow up they won't think they're chickens, though, they will want duck company. The imprinting thing just gets them through the dependent baby stage - it's essential that they learn to closely follow their parents and scream their heads off if they get lost (so the parents come to find them).

The ducklings in the brooder right now are a fairly chilled lot and don't mind us going out of sight. Other lots we've had have yelled the place down if we leave the room. Leaving the TV on for them helps since they can hear a human voice.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg44002#msg44002 date=1388608716]
    I like that, Julie - not too tenuous at all :D I read that book at some point - 'Longitude' - and next time were in London we want to visit the museum at Greenwich that has all the clocks and measuring devices in it. So, I like that theme! Harrison is definitely on the short list.
    [/quote]

Sigh...I love Greenwich. Stand on top of the hill, on the meridian, and look down at the cutty sark and the Thames. Makes me go all soppy about brave people going to sea.

(I did my coastal skipper course not far from there - although when I finished it, I rushed out to buy a spare GPS and a thousand spare batteries. No way I'm trying the old fashioned stuff on a heaving deck in the rain...).

6. Oberon

A lot to be said for modern electronics ;D Amazing what was achieved without though.

Having just said that the ducklings are chilled..... I just called out to hubby and the ducklings heard me so they all started peep peep peeping at the tops of their lungs. Hubby gave them a bit of attention and they're quiet now :) They're so cute :)

There has been one other blue duckling that hatched a bit later than the others and it's been in the incubator till now as it had a hard time getting out of the egg (it decided to come out the wrong end, the pointy end, and that requires a lot more effort as they can't turn around properly to break the top of the egg off). It's taken a little bit longer to recover from hatching. We just put it in with the others. It's quite a bit smaller - really shows how the others have grown in just a few days. They all seem to be getting along fine :) It can have a swim n the bath today with the rest.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg44009#msg44009 date=1388610710]
    There has been one other blue duckling that hatched a bit later than the others and it's been in the incubator till now as it had a hard time getting out of the egg (it decided to come out the wrong end, the pointy end, and that requires a lot more effort as they can't turn around properly to break the top of the egg off). It's taken a little bit longer to recover from hatching.
    [/quote]

Ok, on behalf of everyone who know zilch about ducks, I'll ask. Can't you just give it a bit of hand getting out of the shell? Like, just pull a few cracked bits of shell off? Or slice the end off with an egg topper (being careful of the duckling of course). ::)

8. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

Great pics :)

I envy your incubator but I did have 4 hatch from 6 bantam eggs I bought on eBay last summer and popped under a broody hen. No way to get away with a cockerel where I live ('towny' neighbours :() so I was chuffed to be able to find a way round it.

Gone all broody myself now lol

9. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

I am very pleased to see that my black duckling appears to be the biggest and strongest of the three...

Now I really, really want ducklings.
    Clare

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The black one is charming. But mine is the yellow one (the brighter yellow one, not the yellow one that has a bit of grey).

11. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

You're going to have to keep them all, Rachael, or someone on the forum will end up very upset... :'(

Clare

12. Oberon

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3806.msg44012#msg44012 date=1388611887]
    [quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg44009#msg44009 date=1388610710]
    There has been one other blue duckling that hatched a bit later than the others and it's been in the incubator till now as it had a hard time getting out of the egg (it decided to come out the wrong end, the pointy end, and that requires a lot more effort as they can't turn around properly to break the top of the egg off). It's taken a little bit longer to recover from hatching.
    [/quote]

Ok, on behalf of everyone who know zilch about ducks, I'll ask. Can't you just give it a bit of hand getting out of the shell? Like, just pull a few cracked bits of shell off? Or slice the end off with an egg topper (being careful of the duckling of course). ::)
    [/quote]

Julie, you are right - and I did help it. After it had pipped the shell I waited over 48 hours and could see that it was having a bit of trouble. I then chipped a bit of shell away (in a hot, steamy bathroom to simulate the incubator) but could see that it still had a network of veins around the inner surface of the shell. The ducklings absorb the blood in these blood vessels (and the last of the yolk) a few hours before they are ready to come right out of the shell. If blood vessels are still present, it's not ready. So I put it back in the incubator and had another go 12 hours later. Same story. I left it another 12 hours and at that point it was ready, so I took off the top half of the shell (just flicked bits of shell off and tore away the membrane underneath) and put it back in the incubator. It pushed itself out and then pretty much collapsed. They are exhausted, even when it has gone well. After 24 hours (and a bit of vitamin water in an eye dropper) it was ready to come out and is now doing really well - eating, drinking and running about with it's new buddies :) [Edit to say NOW doing well, instead of not doing well ::)]

Clare, your black duckling is going great - a big, confident chappy :) Or chappess.

Normally I vent sex ducklings, where you kind of manipulate their tiny bottoms to see if there is a penis (drakes are very well endowed). But the ducklings don't enjoy it (as you can imagine) so I'm just going to leave it as a surprise this time. I'll know in about 4 weeks when the girls start to do baby quacks :)

Julie, that one is Silver in colour :) Will be pale blue. It's a super fast runner - has little excitement fits of zooming about the brooder :)

I'd love to keep them all but I can't... I already have three pens of ducks, with a drake in each, and have room for two girls only this year. So, most of these little ones will go to new homes. But I take a lot of care to make sure the homes are good. I'm always really sad to see them go though :'( Till then, I will enjoy them and give them the best start I can.

13. Oberon

[quote author=MadMudMob link=topic=3806.msg44022#msg44022 date=1388616213]
    Great pics :)

I envy your incubator but I did have 4 hatch from 6 bantam eggs I bought on eBay last summer and popped under a broody hen. No way to get away with a cockerel where I live ('towny' neighbours :() so I was chuffed to be able to find a way round it.

Gone all broody myself now lol
    [/quote]

Great result :) Hens always do it better than a machine. The only advantage with a machine is that I can control the timing.

14. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

Thanks Oberon, feel quite chuffed now :)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg44045#msg44045 date=1388618990]
    Julie, that one is Silver in colour :) Will be pale blue. It's a super fast runner - has little excitement fits of zooming about the brooder :)

I'd love to keep them all but I can't... I already have three pens of ducks, with a drake in each, and have room for two girls only this year. So, most of these little ones will go to new homes. But I take a lot of care to make sure the homes are good. I'm always really sad to see them go though :'( Till then, I will enjoy them and give them the best start I can.
    [/quote]

Oo! Oo! Pale blue is my most favorite colour! Yay!

We understand. You might have to give our ducklings away :'(. We should be ready to say goodbye :'( - not yet though :). But so long as you find good homes...with little pools, and people who love them, it'll be fine. :)

16. Oberon

LOL. I'll do my best to thoroughly screen prospective owners ;) I have no hesitation in saying 'no' to people and I always have a queue of people who want my ducks (they are a rare breed), so I can be fussy :)

They will be here for another 2 months at least, so no need to think about the re-homing part too much just yet :)

17. Oberon

Here's a few of the two with Lockyer the hen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg43894#msg43894 date=1388533781]
    And here's a little video :) There's no sound because I did it wrong...oops.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93962102@N05/11676312055/
    [/quote]

I could hear a few cheeps!that black one could give a lab pup a run in the nipping category! X

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sent my reply too quick.....they are so gorgeous,it's quite a labour intensive process for you too Rachael.i guess they are quite valuable though of they are a rare breed?although after 2 months rearing them so closely I bet it's hard to put a price on them :(
    I was going to fight Julie for the blue one but I will concede gracefully ;D I think think being a virtual duck owner and rearing through you will cheer her up whilst she's worried about Charlie! X
    Obviously girl ducks quack before boy ducks? X

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ooohhh they're gorgeous!!!

I dream of having land and chickens and ducks and dogs and horses and ..... and ...... maybe a few sheep to keep the grass down in the orchard.........

ok back to work and my suburban 3 bedroom house *sigh*