Ducklings

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Oberon, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Ducklings

We're in suburbia, Barbara, on 600sq m :) No horses or sheep though (yet).

Angela, the darker blue one is still up for grabs since Julie has the light blue one ;)

Although they're rare, and I have quite good birds, they're not worth a lot in dollar terms. But it'd be very hard for me to replace them if anything happened to them (because quality ones are so hard to find) so they are very valuable to me. Plus they are my loved pets :)

Raising them is a lot of work (if you do it properly) but I enjoy it and I love just watching them :) Ducks have a lot of personality. Just like dogs, they are all different.

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We do ok for suburbia too Rachael but 600 sq m would be a bit of an improvement. We ought to make more of our front garden but the soil is poor and it's unfenced. I still aspire to terrace it (we're on a hill) and grow some veggies. This summer with the longer evenings I will try and improve the soil and see how we do.

We have an ok back garden size-wise for Winchester with a couple of small apple trees and a pear tree. It's just big enough for Riley to stretch his legs and do some basic training and plenty big enough for me to need to spend more time on it ;D

This work lark really gets in the way of my fun!

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg44116#msg44116 date=1388663052]

Angela, the darker blue one is still up for grabs since Julie has the light blue one ;)

[/quote]

And can I call him Christopher? After Colombus and my lovely Hubby? ;D ;D. ;D temporarily,of course ! ;DI understand the terms of this virtual ownership! Xxxxx

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

That last photo of the two baby ducks, could make a calendar ;D

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3806.msg44128#msg44128 date=1388667118]
    [quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg44116#msg44116 date=1388663052]

[/quote]

And can I call him Christopher? After Colombus and my lovely Hubby? ;D ;D. ;D temporarily,of course ! ;DI understand the terms of this virtual ownership! Xxxxx
    [/quote]

Really? Can we temporarily name the ducklings? They can just be their forum user names, and twitter account names - things like that. Not proper names.

6. Oberon

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3806.msg44120#msg44120 date=1388663657]
    This work lark really gets in the way of my fun!
    [/quote]
    Ain't that the truth..... Some raised beds might be the go if your soil isn't great. Even big pots.

Oh boy, naming ducklings....violation of company policy... Ok, but you can pay for my therapy when/if they get sold ;D So, Angela, you can call the blue one Christoper. Name your names, Julie (silver one) and Clare (black one).

Thanks, Stacia - managed to catch them in a rare moment of stillness!! :)

7. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Meriwether! It's stretching the maritime theme slightly, but after Meriwether Lewis, who led the Corps of Discovery (1803 - 1806) up the route of the river Missouri on the instructions of Thomas Jefferson, when the USA bought a large chunk of land from Napoleon in the Louisiana purchase... Hopefully s/he will have all the skills and talent but not die in an inn in mysterious circumstances.

It's alright, you won't need therapy if they are sold. Well, perhaps not quite as much therapy as the people who purchase them, when you explain that there are mad women around the globe who would like to be kept informed of the ducks' wellbeing!!! ;D ;D ;D
    Clare

8. bbrown

Yup I figured if I terraced with sleepers it would allow me to add a whole bunch off good stuff as it would effectively be making raised beds. Will keep you posted :D

9. Oberon

Oo - I like Meriwether :) Good name.

All sold ducklings will be accompanied by your contact details ;)

Terracing with sleepers sounds perfect, Barbara. I use sleepers to build up beds too. Looks nice, IMO :)

10. bbrown

We've used sleepers in the back garden to pretty good effect I think. I'll have to start saving my pennies ;D

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg44238#msg44238 date=1388692813]
    Oh boy, naming ducklings....violation of company policy... Ok, but you can pay for my therapy when/if they get sold ;D So, Angela, you can call the blue one Christoper. Name your names, Julie (silver one) and Clare (black one).
    [/quote]

Oh wow. Amazing. They are not real names, just forum names. If you only use them on the forum, it'll be fine.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Harrison. I'll go for Harrison for the silver. :) :) :) :) (Harri if she's a girl).

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3806.msg44257#msg44257 date=1388694523]
    Yup I figured if I terraced with sleepers it would allow me to add a whole bunch off good stuff as it would effectively be making raised beds. Will keep you posted :D
    [/quote]

I did this to turn my (tiny) back garden in Fowey into a veg garden - it turned out lovely. Steps and raised beds in sleepers with gravel for paths. Dead easy to maintain too. :) :). I stuck an irrigation system in at the same time for the raised beds, and it's just perfect.

14. Dexter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3806.msg44282#msg44282 date=1388697549]
    [quote author=Oberon link=topic=3806.msg44238#msg44238 date=1388692813]
    [/quote]

Oh wow. Amazing. They are not real names, just forum names. If you only use them on the forum, it'll be fine.
    [/quote]
    That was my thinking.....I've been naughty I know ! Xxx

15. Oberon

Time for some new pics! :) All 6 ducklings are doing very well.

Having a swim yesterday.

[​IMG]

In this one Harrison (silver) is diving under the water and Christopher (blue) is starting a dive with his orange feet in the air. Harrison is an especially keen diver. The blue one just floating is the last one that hatched. Meriwether (black) is also just having a float.

[​IMG]

Drying off after their bath.

[​IMG]

Harrison's fuzzy bottom taking up the foreground. Christopher is the blue one to the right, new blue one to the left.

[​IMG]

Meriwether is still the biggest (and also the most relaxed) :)

[​IMG]

16. bbrown

Cute!!!!!! 8)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You look over our duckies for us, Obi!

My Harrison's bottom is the best fuzzy yellow bottom in the whole world! I'm glad he is a keen diver. Good boy, Harry.

So cute! :) :) :)

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh my cuteness overload! Just love them, Rachel!! :)

19. Dexter

I kind of like Christopher' s 'free style' approach to diving ;D...what he is lacking in style he more than makes up for in enthusiasm.Wouldn't it be the cutest thing if they all imprinted on Obi ? A little trail of ducklings following him round!!In fact with his mind bending hypnotic skills Obi could just 'influence' them to follow him! ;D you look like you are doing a great job with them Rachael,are they all hatched now? X

20. Oberon

Yep, all hatched - 6 out of 6 eggs :)

Christopher certainly is a free spirit in the water ;D