Eating Everything

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Claudia Paley, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Claudia Paley

Claudia Paley Registered Users

Help. My 13 week old black lab is eating our pea gravel and trees in the back yard. He now has diarrhea. Any ideas?

2. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi Claudia our pup did the same and we we're so worried that we went to the nearest diy store and brought rolled plastic fencing,this is a temporary measure that we hope to remove when she's stopped eating leaves,stones plants even soil. Now we can let her out without worrying that she'll eat stuff ash get ill. Hope this helps.

3. Claudia Paley

Yes thank you. It does help. He is constantly eating the pea gravel. We decided to switch out the rocks for larger ones. Hoping it helps.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Claudia and welcome. Temporary fencing is a great idea, most puppies do quickly grow out of putting all kinds of things in their mouths. :)

Claudia Paley likes this.
  5. Claudia Paley

Thank you. We have currently removed him from the back yard since he is enjoying the pea gravel so much. He goes out only to potty or under supervision . It is starting to get better.

6. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Hi @Claudia Paley we have recently put some temporary fencing up too because she kept eating garden bark and stones. So far so good, and it's a more relaxing experience for us and for her when she's in the garden. She's also more likely to interact with us without the constant distraction of the things she knows we'll try and take away from her.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  7. Carolyn Elisabeth Wort

Carolyn Elisabeth Wort Registered Users

Hi, I am new to your forum and a new puppy owner. The place that we are using to potty train our puppy has some gravel and we are getting really paranoid about her swallowing some and choking. We have tried gently taking it out of her mouth and swapping for a treat but frankly she prefers the stones to her treats. it is getting to us really and making us quite stressed. She is 8 weeks old, we brought her home yesterday. Would it help trying to put her on a lead for wees? Should we try using a puppy run? Help please! Thank you

8. Chris N

Chris N Registered Users

Hi Carloyn.

my thoughts...

Pups are like baby's exploring the world through the mouth. Like us the nasal cavity is also connected. Double the trouble. Trying to stop are pup entirely in my mind wasn't fair. I will say the pup should get bored eventually.

In the meantime paranoia.
    Just taking things off them if your not careful can become a game.
    Teaching drop and leave made me feel better. Lots of positive reinforcement with it, then if they do pick something up hopefully you won't need to tackle those sharp teeth.

Chris

9. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Definitely set up a safe puppy run that you can put her in safely to toilet. She will grow out of it, but in the meantime, you need to keep her safe.