Eating Newspaper

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MyHoney, Nov 9, 2012.

1. MyHoney

MyHoney Registered Users

Hi
    My 13 week old puppy Honey keeps eating the newspaper I put down near the backdoor incase she has any accidents. The vet told me its not good for her to eat it, but she still keeps doing it. I keep telling her to leave in a stern voice, but she thinks its a game and just runs off with it. Any tips on how to stop this?
    Thanks

2. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Re: Eating Newspaper

Swap it for something else? An old towel perhaps. It's not a problem we've had because the section nearest the door is tiled so any accidents are easily mopped up. When my pups have run off with that classic lab cheeky grin the best thing is simply to ignore them, no attention and they soon get bored of whatever 'game' they've dreamt up, chewing papers, running off with a shoe, eating plant pots.... With lab pups the list is endless ;D

3. MyHoney

MyHoney Registered Users

Thank you, our floor is also tiled, so maybe its time to ditch the newspaper, not all of her accidents are on there anyway! She also tried to eat the puppy training mats, so they weren't any good either! So cute though :D

4. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Yes, I'd junk the newspaper, stick with kitchen roll and detox for mopping up.

Funny story for you, a friend tried to train their young rescue collie to puddle on the newspaper, she never did, except for one morning. Wife said to husband, really pleased, "I see she actually used the newspaper". "Yes," came the reply, "except it was on the kitchen table when she used it!" ;D

5. MyHoney

MyHoney Registered Users

lol, how funny, but hope that doesn't happen here! She did manage to reach up to the table earlier and run off with a placemat :)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Welcome to the forum with your beautiful pup!

7. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

Hi,

My puppy who is now 12 weeks also ate the newspaper as soon as we put some down. He has his crate, and then attached to the front I have a baby "playden" for some extra space when he is contained - the idea being I put paper down in the front bit and he would go there if need be overnight rather than in his actual crate. My floor is terracotta so although it does mop up it is also porous and wet soaks in and stains if it is left. I ended up using some plastic sheeting in there, the edges of the sheeting are outside his "perimeter" so he can't chew. It has worked really well and is very very easy to clean.