Eeek! Another puppy?!?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Nov 8, 2014.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Eeek! Another puppy?!?!

I can't remember when they become teenagers.....think I must have blotted that out my memory......

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Fiona, I think you are going to regret this big time if you say no.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, you lot are very helpful at keeping me grounded ;)

Johnny and I have talked it over and I'd say it's looking likely. We'll decide tomorrow for definite because we have to let the breeder know and also get some stuff ordered.

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8666.msg122480#msg122480 date=1415484806]

mmm.....I think I can remember saying that about Charlie pup...before he turned into a complete hooligan. ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Haha! The bar is set pretty low here, though. I honestly don't know one dog who can sit on cue!!

[quote author=Loopyloo30 link=topic=8666.msg122483#msg122483 date=1415485243]
    Are you thinking of names already???? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) Call him Bob!!!!!
    [/quote]

Hah! I hadn't even thought about changing his name! He's been Jebs from the start. Oooh, I don't know!! Bob *is* an awesome name :)

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh my, coming late to this party, but I would have to add my "I think you are crazy but I think you can do it" vote. Of course having a boy and a girl could be tricky for obvious reasons, I guess you will have to sort all that out too. And of course, having two dogs who are likely to leave you close together has been hinted at but I do think it's a consideration.

Don't feel pressured by us, either, do what seems best for you. And let us know, we will support you wither way! :)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I think Jebs might just have a new home x

6. Lolly3980

Lolly3980 Registered Users

Hi, sorry I've just seen this now. I've only just joined this site so don't know you but by the sounds of it you've thought everything through and seem to know what you're doing so I'm sure you'd do an amazing job with both. And he is soooooooo gorgeous, that picture definitely makes the decision much easier (or harder I guess, depending which way you look at it!!). Sorry I can't really add anything constructive but I've just got my very first pup so have very little experience to share but as with any decision, you do your research, weigh up the pros & cons, then make an informed decision and it certainly sounds like you've done that so I think you're on to a winner :)

7. snowbunny

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=8666.msg122507#msg122507 date=1415496330]
    Of course having a boy and a girl could be tricky for obvious reasons, I guess you will have to sort all that out too.
    [/quote]

Yes, I'll be talking to my vet tomorrow about when will be best to have Willow spayed. I'd prefer to have it done before her first season, around the 6-month mark, but of course we'd have to be eagle-eyed to make sure nothing untoward happened. I'd prefer to keep him entire he's over-sexed.

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=8666.msg122507#msg122507 date=1415496330]
    And of course, having two dogs who are likely to leave you close together has been hinted at but I do think it's a consideration.
    [/quote]

Yes, that would be an absolutely terrible time, and I don't even want to think about it. Ugh. Hopefully, there would be a long and happy life before that happened. Whether it's one or two.

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=8666.msg122522#msg122522 date=1415507396]
    I think Jebs might just have a new home x
    [/quote]

You, young lady, are a bad influence!

[quote author=Lolly3980 link=topic=8666.msg122531#msg122531 date=1415516444]
    Hi, sorry I've just seen this now. I've only just joined this site so don't know you but by the sounds of it you've thought everything through and seem to know what you're doing so I'm sure you'd do an amazing job with both. And he is soooooooo gorgeous, that picture definitely makes the decision much easier (or harder I guess, depending which way you look at it!!). Sorry I can't really add anything constructive but I've just got my very first pup so have very little experience to share but as with any decision, you do your research, weigh up the pros & cons, then make an informed decision and it certainly sounds like you've done that so I think you're on to a winner :)
    [/quote]

Thanks Lolly and welcome! I've only had my first pup since the beginning of October, so this is all new to me, too. It's madness. MADNESS! But I think we're about 80% that we'll have him. We'll decide for sure today. In the meantime, I need to plan my shopping list ;)

8. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

I know of someone who has lab brother and sister and the girl wears the in season pants. We had wanted one of each but there were only two boys available and we fell in love. We had a 2 year age difference with our last two and lost the youngest first, followed 6 months later by the oldest. So we too are thinking like you, we look forward to a long and happy life with them both, and we cherish them every single day ;D

Lou x

9. Granca

Granca Registered Users

"But I think we're about 80% that we'll have him. We'll decide for sure today. In the meantime, I need to plan my shopping list ;)"

I think that should be 100%! It will be hard work, but you're well aware of all the pros and cons and there will be so much to enjoy too.

Looking forward to seeing some photos! ;)

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Loopyloo30 link=topic=8666.msg122488#msg122488 date=1415485796]

Scuse my ignorance but when do they become teenagers?! Just so I can prepare myself.... lol!
    [/quote]

Tatze is just coming out of the teenage phase (18 months) and Gypsy is just going into it. Some days are utterly crazy mad round here - I wouldn't have it any other way! ;)

snowbunny, another thing - whenever you give them a chew they need to be separated or they chase each other round (always wanting the other's chew!) which is a choke hazard. This is frustrating as one always finishes before the other and grumbles - lol :)

11. snowbunny

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=8666.msg122542#msg122542 date=1415521908]
    snowbunny, another thing - whenever you give them a chew they need to be separated or they chase each other round (always wanting the other's chew!) which is a choke hazard. This is frustrating as one always finishes before the other and grumbles - lol :)
    [/quote]

Yes, I'd already thought of that. I was thinking the same thing with Kongs, too. At the moment, we crate Willow while we're eating and give her lunch or a Kong. We wouldn't be having separate crates, so we'd have to manage that so they didn't get snappy with each other. It's not insurmountable, clearly, but something to consider. I guess lunch (which is raw) would be one in and one out of the crate, or one followed by the other (probably less likely). We're open-plan so there's no way of putting them in a different room - although they could always go out on the terrace, weather permitting. I guess it would be a "suck it and see" experience.

But, must remember, these are all "if"s until we've had the chat! :D

12. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

I am sure that you have already made your mind up and with all the encouraging comments on here it would be hard not to believe that it is the right thing to do !

However, I don't really share these views.

Firstly, are you considering a second puppy because you feel sorry for him ? Hopefully the breeders haven't made you feel this way ! Did they contact you to let you know ? I don't know many breeders who would actively encourage someone who had bought a puppy from then to take another sibling from the litter !

Secondly, training one puppy is hard and two at the same time is very hard! Clearly you are aware of this, however they will need to be walked and trained independently for a good while, possibly a year! If they bond too closely with each other it will make it very hard for you to bond with them. For example, if you let them off the lead together you need to be sure that they are more concerned with being with you than each other.

Thirdly, spaying before the first season is not ideal. There are many medical reasons why it is better to leave it until at least after the first season, but also she will not be physically mature either. Her joints and bones will not be fully developed. Also you talk about leaving the male puppy to be fully mature but it is just as important for female puppies.

Finally, having 2 dogs of the same age means that there is a very high chance of losing both of them close together. This is not something I would ever like to endure, as losing one at a time is bad enough!

I realise that I am in the minority not actively encouraging you to get a second puppy, but I have read many stories and seen the outcome of people taking sibling puppies (not on this forum), and it would not be something I would ever encourage someone to do. I would be encouraging you to enjoy Willow grow up and put all your energies into her training, and then when she is older get another puppy to enjoy again.

I am sure my points probably won't make a difference to your decision but I felt it was important for you to read the other side.

Good luck in your decision.

Chloe

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=rubyrubyruby link=topic=8666.msg122551#msg122551 date=1415524484]
    with all the encouraging comments on here it would be hard not to believe that it is the right thing to do !
    [/quote]

Oh, I think that's maybe just a tad harsh. :) I think, if you read carefully, most people were actually mentioning the pros and cons, while stepping round the danger of coming across as overly opinionated about someone else's decision that really, only they are in a position to make. :)

14. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

I have to agree Julie, we have litter mates and would definitely have them again, it's hard reading that it's not the right thing to do, all dogs are different and you could (and do) have many if these issues having two dogs who are different ages and not related, I know as we have done both.

The first thing I did was to train them to sit when I brought their dinner, Barney sits on my left and Jack sits on my right, and the do this every single time without fail. I stay with them while they eat (all 60 seconds lol) and give Barney a leave command as he always finishes first and wants to help Jack finish his, kind caring soul that he is.....but if I say leave he sits and waits until they both finish, they then look at each other and swap dishes, just in case one missed a bit ;D

Some aspects of training are easier done together, one lies down and the other often follows suit before I give the command! And with recall we always make sure we call them back regularly before the 'leg it' instinct kicks in, and as soon as one comes the other is always close behind.

As long as you don't go into it blind, expecting it to be easy, then I think it can be one if the most rewarding things to do.

I wouldn't encourage or discourage Willow's Mum to get Willow's sibling, as it is only something you can truly decide on for yourself and your own circumstances, but hopefully there is a lot of information on here to help that to be an informed decision.

There is also an item on the main site about getting two with quite a few responses from owners of litter mates which is worth a read, if you haven't already.

Lou x

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't find it a problem with Kongs - they don't seem to have the same attraction as chews, so they just eat their own.

Mine sit and wait to eat too. I used to have two Cavaliers (six months apart in age) one was a gobbler and one a picker of food, so I had to feed one in the crate, as one dog would eat the lot otherwise! Gavin took sooooo long to eat. That worked just fine - we get into our routines. I have just walked Tatze and Gypsy and they are snoozing in a bundle now - awwww!

I find the challenge and fun(!) of working everything out really enjoyable. Since I retired it's really kept my brain alive :)

16. debsie

debsie Registered Users

My two have never had a cross word over food, and don't try to nick each others Kongs or treats. And Cuillin can be quite resource guardy around other dogs if her treats are about, but there seem to be different rules for the Pack...from day one they were fed together, if there were high value treats we did some swapping, Brods will hover near Cuilli when she is finishing a chew or something off as she is much slower and she lets him scoof up any bits lying around her without a squeak. Don' t know if Ive just been lucky there but that's been a non issue from day one. Age of spaying is a personal choice and as we know heaps of differing evidence and advice around, I went with advice of vets I trust ( family) and Cuilli was spayed before brods arrived so no worries there. I put in a LOT of work in the first year given the small age gap with my two, i had to give up triathlon as there werent enough hours in the day then ;D but worth it to have two pups who have grow up with separate identities and think mum is number one, as well as being fantastic pals with each other. Not to be gone into lightly and without recognition of the work and energy needed to avoid the potential pitfalls, but I dont regret it for a millisecond...

17. snowbunny

Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

We have decided to go ahead and get him - eeee! - but I wanted to respond to a couple of the comments :)

Firstly, are you considering a second puppy because you feel sorry for him ? Hopefully the breeders haven't made you feel this way ! Did they contact you to let you know ? I don't know many breeders who would actively encourage someone who had bought a puppy from then to take another sibling from the litter !
    [/quote]

Not in the slightest. The breeders are friends of ours and we visit them regularly anyhow. Before the other people had said they would have Jebs, another friend of mine had expressed an interest in him; when the first sale fell through, he was just phoning me to ask if she was still interested. He certainly wasn't pushing him on me.

Secondly, training one puppy is hard and two at the same time is very hard! Clearly you are aware of this, however they will need to be walked and trained independently for a good while, possibly a year! If they bond too closely with each other it will make it very hard for you to bond with them. For example, if you let them off the lead together you need to be sure that they are more concerned with being with you than each other.
    [/quote]

The bonding thing is a concern to me, although Willow has already bonded very closely with us, so I'm less worried about her. But I am aware of the issue and therefore will definitely be making sure we spend a lot of time separately with the two of them. My husband will be able to help with this with walks, too - no reason why we can't go on circular walks in opposite directions, for example.

Thirdly, spaying before the first season is not ideal. There are many medical reasons why it is better to leave it until at least after the first season, but also she will not be physically mature either. Her joints and bones will not be fully developed. Also you talk about leaving the male puppy to be fully mature but it is just as important for female puppies.
    [/quote]

There is so much conflicting information about this that I will be taking advice from my vet. I am concerned with the risks of mammary cancer and pyometra and so earlier spaying is preferred, despite the slight increase in risk from other nasties. I believe it is necessary for a bitch to be spayed for her health. I don't believe the same is true of dogs, which is why I would prefer to keep him entire, not just until maturity, but ad infinitum, unless he presents an over-sexed personality.

Finally, having 2 dogs of the same age means that there is a very high chance of losing both of them close together. This is not something I would ever like to endure, as losing one at a time is bad enough!
    [/quote]

This is very true, of course. All things going according to plan, they will live to the full extent of their life expectancy and will depart reasonably close to one another. It will be horrific, but we all give our hearts to our pets and to lose any of them is horrific. I will be heartbroken and I will grieve for each of them. It doesn't stop me having pets, knowing that the natural order of things is they will die before me and hurt me in the process, so I'm not sure that it should stop me having another?

I realise that I am in the minority not actively encouraging you to get a second puppy, but I have read many stories and seen the outcome of people taking sibling puppies (not on this forum), and it would not be something I would ever encourage someone to do. I would be encouraging you to enjoy Willow grow up and put all your energies into her training, and then when she is older get another puppy to enjoy again.
    [/quote]

I really, really appreciate your viewpoint, especially as it differs in tone to the others. Reading the reasons why things don't work out and the struggles people have is invaluable to trying to manage those issues and overcome them. Now that we have decided to go ahead, these stories will hopefully help us to choose the correct approaches going forwards.

I am sure my points probably won't make a difference to your decision but I felt it was important for you to read the other side.
    [/quote]

Well, no, but that's because we'd made our decision before reading your message! It's still valuable reading, though, and thank you for your concerns. I may be wailing "Why didn't I listen to Chloe?!?!" in times to come...

[quote author=Looby Lou link=topic=8666.msg122558#msg122558 date=1415526011]
    I have to agree Julie, we have litter mates and would definitely have them again, it's hard reading that it's not the right thing to do, all dogs are different and you could (and do) have many if these issues having two dogs who are different ages and not related, I know as we have done both.
    [/quote]

This is something that is so true. I don't think you can read one story and say it applies to all. All dogs are different, all home dynamics are different, all owners are different. There's a whole plethora of variables that affect the outcome. Not to say that everything will work out amazingly for us, but understanding the pitfalls, rather than just bowling in blindly and not considering it, will hopefully help us along the way. I'll probably be back to you for lots of advice, Lou!

[quote author=Looby Lou link=topic=8666.msg122558#msg122558 date=1415526011]
    There is also an item on the main site about getting two with quite a few responses from owners of litter mates which is worth a read, if you haven't already.
    [/quote]

I read that (along with pretty much every other article on the site!) before we even brought Willow home. It will be worth revisiting now we've made our decision.

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

How exciting! When might he arrive?

19. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Very exciting! I've read all the comments on the the thread, and I have to say that I'm super impressed with the way you have thought about having puppy number 2. You'll be fab I'm sure. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures with the "Puppies"!!

;D ;D

20. snowbunny

We're going for a visit next weekend (planned before the decision) to take Willow back to see her family, so we'll bring him back with us on Sunday. He's already had all his jabs, so it'll just be a case of taking him for his microchip (if he's not had it already - I'll find out later today) and registering him with our vet and the government. And walkies immediately, no carrying for him!